Connector Identification

mi-ul

CPC sell them "circular multipole plug"

Summary on http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/level5/module.jsp?moduleId=cpc/256714.xml

You're looking for CN05824 (line socket, CN05828 (line plug), CN05832 (chassis plug)

There's also another range, Blundell - AV19305 etc

All are listed under

> Cable, Wire & Connectors

> Connectors - Audio, Video & RF

> Connectors - Audio/Video

> Multipole

> Connectors

"spectacularly crap" in what way? ive had one feeding the hexaphonic handwound guitar pickup to the outside world for over 25 years in a "unspectacularly not crap" fashion, so id say its the tried and tested method of instrument mounted multicore. you would actually struggle to find a better choice- It locks reliably, its a robust metal shell, the pins dont bend and its small and cheap.

Should you wish to purchase such things... http://www.aerialshack.com/multiway-locking-line-socket-p-4345.html.... just dont use it to connect a midi accordion to a badly made hexaphonic stereo fuzzbox...

These are actually quite nice connectors, they have a substantial current rating, and have stood the test of time. A connector I choose to use a lot for low voltage use. Sadly, there are not "opposite sex" versions available, or if there is, they are much less popular.

I have had some fairly poor experiences with them WRT reliability, but it is possible that I got landed with the cheapest of the cheap end of the quality spectrum (I didn't source them).

Brittle plastic, pins made out of unsolerabilium and strain relief that didn't, that sort of thing, Lemo they aint.

Regards, Dan.

Sadly, there are not "opposite sex" versions available, or if there is, they are much less popular.

There seem to be in-line plugs available from Bruce's link above, but no panel socket.

http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages/farnell/standard/AV19314-40.jpg

This range of plug and socket connectors are widely used for all manner of duties including remote foot pedals for instrument amplifiers - and Allen & Heath use them for connecting standby power supplies to augment the internal PSU's in various models including the Mix Wizard and GL2400 types.

They don't have a generic name, even the manufacturer isn't usually known - so we need to invent an identity for them.

How about CMC? (Circular Multipin Connector)?

I liked the earlier reference to Lemo connectors - which are beautifully engineered of course - but CMC's are probably one twentieth of the cost, so won't be seen in aerospace or medical applications!

The 3 pin version is widely used on small mixers (Behringer, Phonic amongst others) - to feed in the low voltage AC from the 'transformer in a box' wall wart. I have always found this quite a reliable connector for such a low cost item.

CMC (circular multipin connector) - anyone?!!

Archived