Theatres in or around Tunbridge Wells?

Hey, I honestly don't know if I've posted this in the right forum, but my issue is vaguely related to my training so here I am...

Next month I will be moving down to Tunbridge Wells from really far up north (Middlesbrough area) and I don't know a single soul in the area. I will be moving down to train on the Technical Theatre Arts course at the BRIT school, so I'm not sure how much free time I will have but I would love to get involved in a theatre somewhere nearby. I'm only 16 but entirely dedicated to my passion for theatre, hence my move into the big wide world all on my own. I came down for a bit the other week and I found it hard to live without friends in the area, and like in the last theatre I've worked in my work friends have grown to be like a surrogate family and it's felt like home to me. So if you work at or know any friendly theatres in the area where I could gain some experience, I'd love to hear from you! :)

Sorry for my little rant, but this is such a friendly forum. You guys are great! :3

Thanks, Jodie :)

Try Trinity Theatre Company, they're the in house group at Trinity Theatre and are really friendly and always looking for volunteers, painters especially. Also depending on what you want to do you could try the Oast Theatre in Tonbridge, they are a self run community theatre. LAMPS (Local Amateur Musical Players) would be my other suggestion, again they are always looking for people and a very friendly group.

That should keep you busy for a bit but there are loads of other AmDram groups in the area, Pantiles Players, TWODS, Sevenoaks Entertainers and Sevenoaks Players to name a few.

All the companies Photographic08 listed are all good, TTC being the biggest and friendliest. Trinity itself is always looking for office and ushering volunteers, and Trinity is like a big family so your bound to make like minded friends.

Technical wise - Trinity is small and there aren't many opportunities to get backstage work, your best way in is TTC, who have big sets and lighting designs and you can make your self know to the Tech Manager. If you get work there you'll love it. The Assembly Halls is not particularly friendly and you stand a chance at getting a bit of work at The Stag in Sevenoaks and The Oast in Tonbridge.7

Tunbridge Wells has a big Am Dram scene, and a huge music scene as well so I'm sure if you try, and volunteer places you will build up a nice little world.

Hope you like it!

• 2 weeks later...

If you like old theatres as well the old opera house (which is now a Weatherspoons!) is quite fun to look around. The upper circle is virtually untouched since it stopped performances and the fly floor is still intact.

If you look behind the stage left prosc arch you will find the origional Strand Grand Master dimmer complete with hand cranks et al. Under a few CM's of dust though but still interesting to look at

Ask BRIT school whether they have your evenings filled with course related things to do, or whether you have to find your own? You may well have markable units of the course doing live shows, and you really shouldn't miss those for an am dram.

Archived