Hungaroflash EruoDMX

mattw

I am looking at possibly getting a Hungaroflash EuroDMX but I want to know;

A. How do you squeeze 5000w through an IEC connector.

B. How does the output compare in joules to a Martin Atomic.

Could anyone answer these questions or point me in the direction of a distributor that could?

The back of it does show "2500W" which you can put through an IEC connector... even though it has "5000W" after the product name.

Might be a case of talking to them and asking exactly what the spec is, from what I can see it's 2500W :/

The back of it does show "2500W" which you can put through an IEC connector... even though it has "5000W" after the product name.

Might be a case of talking to them and asking exactly what the spec is, from what I can see it's 2500W :/

I've heard photgraphic flashes described as "500W" but that's not continuous, it's the amount of power in the flash, which is very short duration. Given that a strobe has a short flash with a (relatively) long recharge time, the continuous power will be less than the instantaneous power in the flashes. Maybe that's what they mean when they say it's a 5000W strobe.

...it's the amount of power in the flash, which is very short duration....

The amount of energy in the flash is measured in Joules. As far as strobes go, Watts measure the heat dissipated in the lamp (or consumed from the mains) and is Joules x Flashes per Second.

With any large strobe, it's worth checking the duty cycle, i.e. how long can it run at max rate, max brightness without overheating / cutting out. This especially applies if it has 'audience blinder' mode, that may only last a few seconds. Furthermore, once any in-built protection cuts in, how long do you have to wait until the device is usable again?

...it's the amount of power in the flash, which is very short duration....

The amount of energy in the flash is measured in Joules. As far as strobes go, Watts measure the heat dissipated in the lamp (or consumed from the mains) and is Joules x Flashes per Second.

I said the power in the flash, not the energy. The energy in the flash is measured in joules, the duration of the flash is measured in seconds, the power in the flash is the energy / the duration (watts = joules per second).

That's fine Alister but that's not how strobes are rated when a Watts figure is quoted.

The Watts figure refers to the average power dissipation of the tube. Tube failure, through over-heating, is one of the more common failure modes. That's why the better strobes model the tube's thermal characteristics in software and throttle back on flash energy to cool a tube.

• 4 years later...

Hi All,

The Hungaroflash really does pull more than 3.5kW It will trip C13 MCB's very quickly if you are running at full bore. If you don't want any chance of a nuisance trip, then fit it with a 32A plug and connect to a 25A or 32A circuit. This is necessary if you plan to run the strobe in 5kW mode or at high flash rates where it appears to be a constant high intensity white flood. If you only have a 13A supply available, you will need to run it at lower speed and intensity otherwise the plug top fuse blows.

The IEC can handle it, and I never found it getting hot. I would recommend this strobe to anyone working on a budget. It's much brighter than the competitors, and my one has run for 8 years without problem (indoor and outdoor use). Its got so much power you get a sun tan if you are in front of it for more than a few minutes, so make sure it's well away from the audience.

I dropped it recently and broke the lamp. Does anyone know where I can purchase a replacement?

Russ

Archived