Telehandler Ticket

Hi All,

A couple of freelancers are looking into getting telehandler tickets, and there seems to be conflicting advice as to which one is most suitable. I've read up on CPCS, CITB, NPORS, ITSSAR and RTITB, and can't really make head or tail of what I would need.

It would mainly be for site work (festivals/events) but wouldn't want to be limited as to how I can use the machine. I believe NPORS is more flexible in terms of "necessary training", but it seems like it's aimed at full timers with specific requirements for a specific place of work.

Can anyone give any pointers/tips on what we should look out for, or even recommend some NW-based training?

Ta

Your best bet is give a call to Roe Street Runners or another Local Crew and ask them what they look for.

Me, I looked at the card then watched the guy in action and decided whether he is OK to carry on. Cards mean nothing if the guy cannot operate safely.

• 9 months later...

I am looking at getting a group telehandler training done in early June...it's more of a discount in groups. If you are serious about getting it done then email me at garethgabarton@gmail.com and I will get back to you.

Af far as I am aware NPORS is pretty standard within the industry.

Go for ITSSAR, recognised everywhere, no stupid cash- cow retests every 3 years & extremely thorough training. All my tickets apart from cherry picker are through them.Make sure you get 12m boom ticket as well or you are limited to 9m which aren't always on site.

NPORS are not bad. IPAF is the one everyone knows.

Ultimately I dont think it really matters. There is no UK law that says you have to have a ticket to operate these machines. It is insurance company/production company led. They want to see that you are competent to operate them and a license is a good way of this. All of the companies will cover the basics and make sure you are safe to operate so I dont think that it really matters which one you go to.

Archived