How to get around the national minimum pay

paulears

Reported to HMRC for tax and NI evasion. You know it makes sense, so do it.

Our core business is the creation, management and delivery of projects/products with a threefold mission: educate, entertain & inspire.
My arse! Their core business is ripping people off so they can afford to live in Epsom.

It's OK, though, because they have agreed to abide by the National Minimum Wage (which says that if ou're paying you have to pay at least the NMW but that if you're not paying then you can get away with it). Also, why does alighting technician need to supply a photo? ("We can't have that one, she doesn't look at all like a stage manager").

Am I imagining things or does the "training" exemption for the NMW not specify that it can only be used when the trainee is receiving actual training under supervision, i.e. unsupervised "experience" is payable?

Volunteers get NMW if the "contract of employment" adds up to an employment or workers contract. This looks like it does as there will be set hours and duties.

Voluntary workers "must have an employment contract or contract to perform work or provide services for a charity, voluntary organisation, associated fund raising body or statutory body." PLC's like this one do not count.

Work experience and internships both can and do qualify for NMW dependent upon the precise nature of them.

There is no "training" exemption per se, apprentices get paid badly but paid, and even if there were this advert would not comply with either unpaid work experience or internship. The roles they stipulate are "workers" positions which, were they filled otherwise, would be subject to terms of employment and wages.

• 2 weeks later...

Am I imagining things or does the "training" exemption for the NMW not specify that it can only be used when the trainee is receiving actual training under supervision, i.e. unsupervised "experience" is payable?

I believe it has to be part of a recognised course as well (although I can't find the section of the act governing that at the moment)

Archived