MagicQ visualiser

paulears

Has anyone else been playing with the visualiser? I have to say I'm quite impressed because I nearly bought capture last year, but the Capture demo I just found difficult to work with.

I've been experimenting, and have to say I'm quite impressed. I haven't got the hang of dimensions in 3 dimensions yet - vertical distances don't seem quite right, and I've not got some of the orientations the right way around, but I'm building up my venue slowly - and even accepting the stable version may not read this early version, It seems useful, and quite easy to use - just taking a while to get your items in the right place.

It needs some tweaks of course, some fixtures come up as mirror style big fixtures rather than moving heads, but I guess with such a huge library, it will take ages to get everything updated.

I'd encourage everyone with magicq to at least have a play - even if you just load up the demos provided.

I've only had a quick play with it so far. A few weeks before, I started trying out the student version of Capture which I actually found easier to get on with but that is of course a rather more mature product at the moment.

I fully intend to put in some more hours with the MagicQ version though as I have no doubt it'll get easier with more practice. Considering it's a free product and integrates nicely with the control software, I think it'll be well worth persevering.

I haven't actually had a play yet, but for me what would be massively useful would be when programming in blind mode, the visualiser picked up the blind programming so you can see what you are actually creating blind.. is this possible?

I stuck it on my twin screen Windows Vista system - what I edit on because I noticed the little comment about needing fast video cards. I ran the combined app and it worked with no issues at all - not sure if this helps or hinders your problem.

Regarding blind mode - when you hit the blind button, everything in the programmer disappears from the visualiser but playbacks remain. Once you release blind, whatever is in the programmer comes back again, complete with whatever alterations you've made. It really is a blind mode! Not sure if that's intentional behaviour though.

The combined app works fine on my XP dual screen system here.

On the trading the other week there was a mention of the vis picking up blind mode but for now it listens to the artnet out so will only show desk output

The main thing on my wish list for it is the ability to import 3d models of stages ect in

I haven't actually had a play yet, but for me what would be massively useful would be when programming in blind mode, the visualiser picked up the blind programming so you can see what you are actually creating blind.. is this possible?

I asked the same question about Jands Vista when I went for training on it but it was not possible - any desk with a feature that you can edit in blind and actually see the result before you go live would be very useful. It seems like it would be a very easy thing to add to the Vis software.

I know that there's a bit flag in the sACN header which determines whether the data is live for output or for visualisers, so theres no reason that the visualiser wouldn't be able to listen to that. I haven't checked the Art-Net spec lately so not sure if it supports a blind and live stream.

I know that there's a bit flag in the sACN header which determines whether the data is live for output or for visualisers, so theres no reason that the visualiser wouldn't be able to listen to that. I haven't checked the Art-Net spec lately so not sure if it supports a blind and live stream.

shall I put in a feature request or leave it with you?

The combined app crashes on my computer too - an Acer laptop running Vista, with error message "mqqt.exe has stopped working"

Has anyone else had this problem, or more importantly found a way around it?

The combined app crashes on my computer too - an Acer laptop running Vista

If I was writing Windows software I don't think I'd even waste my time trying to make something compatible with Vista. It was a botched operating system that Microsoft seemed to abandon quite early on. They should have been forced to give all their Vista customers a free copy of Windows 7.

I've finished putting in my venue, making things like RGB LED bars was interesting, but with X,Y,Z coordinates I found the fan feature in the patch worked pretty well, but very fiddly entering 12 x 24 dimmer channels. I miss a method of adjusting a dimmer channel's beam angle, but I have to say everything works and the only bug I found was that just once, the visualiser got stuck on a front view. Quiting and opening cured it. For cloths, I discovered a pipe 5m tall instead of.05 works pretty well as a surface. Not being a visualiser person until now - where two lanterns are paired on a bar, I created another dimmer fixture on a high numbered universe with the same head number which worked fine - is this the way it's supposed to be done on visualisers where there are multiple lanterns on one dimmer? It works perfectly and allows independent focus and positioning.

Has anyone managed to successfully link a MagicQ console (or PC running the software) to a separate PC running the visualiser? I can get Artnet flowing from one to t'other and if I load up the same show in the visualiser, MagicQ can control the lights but it doesn't "sync" (MagicVis always shows "waiting sync" in the title bar). So there's no control of the positions / angles of lights from within MagicQ.

• 3 months later...

The combined app crashes on my computer too - an Acer laptop running Vista, with error message "mqqt.exe has stopped working"

Has anyone else had this problem, or more importantly found a way around it?

I had this during a show tonight (first show with my new Maxi Wing) running the combined app 1.5.7.2, which according to the site is stable. Didn't have the visualiser open at all, nothing fancy going on, just popped up with that and the desk output died and put me into blackout until I could restart the software. Anyone else had this?

Thanks

Archived