offline editing

tombob1861

Hi all, I tried to search for a related thread but to my surprise I couldn't find one on this topic.

I'm trying to set up for offline editing using the ETC offline editor. I have all the software working well and good but I'm trying to find out what the best universal USB fader board is. I would also like to use it for levels in cubase and nuendo. I know I can do it all on the mouse and keyboard but I prefer a tactile surface to work with when I'm programming and mixing both lighting and sound.

I'm not too bothered about EQ pots but if they're there it would be nice.

I am basically just looking for a good USB fader wing that (ideally) is not going too far into 3 figures, that I can use with a stack of softwares.

Any suggestions?

Hi Tom,

I'm no expert but I think I am going to disappoint you. Manufacturers usually have offline editors so you can learn and use their software and hardware specifically. I think you'll find it difficult to find software that will work with a generic "fader wing" for example. Any online functionality is usually locked to use in combination with their hardware. They're unlikely to give away their hardwork for free

However some manufactures do have hardware that is relatively cheap, Chamsys's Magic Q for example has basic online functionality from £10 (I think) and you will find it well documented on this forum.

It may be possible to combine a dongle with a midi control surface and produce a "cheap" lighting control setup however it still may not be within your price range.

I hope this has been informative, even if it's not what you wanted to hear.

Best Regards

Mark

One of the most popular seems to be the Behringer BCF-2000. I can't speak from experience but it might help you in your search. Typically the application will be as a MIDI controller so you might find you have to use the MIDI ports rather than usb but this shouldn't matter.

I believe MagicQ can work with a fader wing like the BCF but, as Mark hints, you need to shell out on some of Chamsys' own hardware for that privilege (their MIDI interface).

Archived