Are we too cynical?

cfmonk

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, the biggest problem with BR's relationship with school technicians is that you've got the same people grumbling about how back in the day, kids could do this stuff and no one worried about getting sued etc etc etc, and also saying to kids "no, don't do that unless you've got certificate XYZ/are old enough/have lots of experience" when they come here asking for advice.

I realise that some of the latter advice is dictated by law, but it's got to be confusing for BR youngsters who are being told that the world was so much better back when people COULD do that stuff, but that now you can't. Teenager Logic might then lead them to the conclusion that "well, these people think that life would be better if I could do this but I can't because of the law, and no stupid law is going to tell me what to do - I'm a teenager and therefore irrepressibly awesome! I'll do it anyway."

To the OP, I'd say that it is possible for school kids doing shows to be given some responsibility - though by no means at all schools - with the understanding that there's someone above them who makes budget decisions, writes the venue's code of practice on H&S matters and so forth. How many people on BR can honestly say that they don't have to answer to someone when they're working on a job? Even if you're top of the technical/production hierarchy on a job, you're still ultimately answerable to the client/executive producer/whoever-the-money-is. However, we'd never say that the chief LX on a touring musical doesn't have responsibilities!

Nor does the responsibility need to exist in strict legal terms. Back at school, I was the stage manager for a production of Little Shop of Horrors. My responsibilities - I use the word advisedly - were to attend rehearsals, take blocking notes for the LD, fix crew for each night, mark up the prompt script, run the technical rehearsal and give notes to the cast from the night before if the director was busy teaching a class or whatever. Did that exempt the school from its duty of care towards me and the rest of the company? No, but if I didn't do those things they didn't get done (our Head of Drama was not a man famed for his organisational skills), so in that sense I was responsible for them. I realise not all schools are like this, it's just an anecdote to illustrate the difference between legal responsibility and practical responsibility. I'd go so far as to say that emphasising the former over the latter is symptomatic of the litigation culture that the more experienced members of this forum decry on a daily basis (see http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=53795 for more details...)

• 2 months later...

Just to add insult to injury (Not a pun!) I'm 15, Year 11.. And at my school have been the 'technician' for every single show in 4 years. Which includes, Sound & lighting but also the general service and upkeep of the equipment. Which has not been 'looked after' since the early 90s. I'm aware about health and safety, Not that I take much notice. Usually I'm up on ladders fitting new gels.. or floating about the stage in general.. Simply because, no one else does it. Shows don't make themselves and the stage at my school was once a huge part of the school! I can tell that just from the equipment left over from the past, Strand, SoundCraft, Electro-Voice etc.

The Performing Arts teachers all respect me, and also rely on me for shows which I enjoy! But it's a shame that the school no longer care about the stage equipment. Still, At least I leave in July and will be heading to College to study Technical Performing Arts! (I will be taking most of the equipment from school with me when I leave too! As the hall is being gutted for the 'new build')

I'm aware about health and safety, Not that I take much notice.

Good luck findng a job when you leave education :unsure:

Haha, I was referring to health and safety at my current age. At 15, I'm wrapped in cotton wool as usual. But an employer, will probably notice me more if I have the past experience like I do from school!

Hopefully, My final show will be a blast! After I leave, there is no one else to do this. I have been asked to run a workshop on teaching people Technical Theatre. But declined it, Because what I do is against the law. There is no way I will be responsible for teaching others to do what I do! When I do it, It's my choice.

I'm aware about health and safety, Not that I take much notice.

Good luck findng a job when you leave education :unsure:

Haha, I was referring to health and safety at my current age. At 15, I'm wrapped in cotton wool as usual. But an employer, will probably notice me more if I have the past experience like I do from school!

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but being in your situation a few years ago, very few employers class school shows as real experience...yes, it's better than nothing, but it's not really seen as 'proper' experience...IMHO it's crazy, but it's the way world works (at least everywhere I applied to anyway!).

Maybe look into volunteering at your local theatre/hire company (once your 16), as that's what I did, and it pays off - I'm 18 and already have 2 years solid theatre experience & a bl00dy good reference!

Hope this helps http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Hi Max, Thanks. Yeah, Sadly I'm aware that it's nothing on paper, and in his screwed up excuse for a country grades are everything.. Hopefully though, studying Technical Performing Arts (A BTEC qualification involving actually going to theatres and 'doing' it) plus the knowledge I have out of experience I may be able to get a job. Or as you said, Volunteer.

Health and Safety at ANY age is important - and your statements are a little contradictory. Either you're wrapped in cotton wool (ie the school allow you to do NOTHING) or you're up and down ladders etc unsupervised - in which case the school are failing badly in their duty of care.

Hopefully, My final show will be a blast! After I leave, there is no one else to do this. I have been asked to run a workshop on teaching people Technical Theatre. But declined it, Because what I do is against the law. There is no way I will be responsible for teaching others to do what I do! When I do it, It's my choice.

Well, you're wrong in suggesting that you doing the sort of stuff you do is in any way against the law - why on earth would that be the case?

But as I say, the school ARE responsible for you and your health, so they may well be breaking guidleines (as opposed to laws) if they fail to properly observe you, and would likely find themselves in court should you damage yourself (or others) whilst working without supervision... But that's not so much a law being broken.

• 2 months later...

Looking above it kind of seems a fairly unique thing, but at our school we do seem to have a very significant control. We have no course as such, but we cover all the events at the school, all performances, speeches, and external events. We will do all liasing with hire companies and put orders together, getting budgets approved, doing all design work, and then using towers and ladders we'll hang, focus and program the rig. Also do most builds, using power tools ourselves. No adult techs or drama teachers, just a couple of staff to approve finance and electrical safety.

So answering the question, it seems that on some occassions people can have a fair amount of control, but everything is still really overlooked by staff.

Archived