watching the lights on the shard

Wingwalker

A little underwhelming might be being a bit friendly. Admittedly my experience was from Canada Water Station, so maybe not the best viewpoint, but I'd go with mind-numbingly boring personally.

I happen to be working in London tonight, and watched from the top floor of an office building not a mile away, and had about as good a view as you could want.

Did it look pretty? Yes.

Was it anything imaginative or special? Not at all.

So what would you guys do if you were asked to put on a light show from the Shard?

Fireworks would probably have been a lot more impressive, and might have been a better choice ?

So what would you guys do if you were asked to put on a light show from the Shard?

From the quality of the videos (not good) and the fact that it was a rehearsal it's unfair to judge at this point.

However some kind of sequencing using lasers on different floors maybe? Chasing up the height of the shard floor by floor?

What you could see was basically, ooh look a blue shard, oh now it's pink etc..

From the quality of the videos (not good) and the fact that it was a rehearsal it's unfair to judge at this point.

Afraid that wasn`t a rehearsal, that was the actual launch.

Reninded of the `laser` show that was commissioned for Forth Road Bridge 25th anniversary, big solid state lasers weren`t really around then and even large frame argon has a limited range, contractors didnt get paid.

Couple of years later for the rail bridge , went for fireworks and Europe`s entire supply of WWII searchlights which do have some presence outdoors

Projection mapping is all the rage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX2Gd-kqV5s

Or take advantage of an entirely empty unlet building and do some stuff from the inside.

So what would you guys do

point some lights, change the colours now and again and then sit back and wait for the flak, probably.....

but seriously, I was more impressed when they turned the building into a fifty storey high christmas tree a couple of christmases ago....

I was standing on London Bridge, most of the people were taking pictures of the now lit up Tower Bridge, rather than watching The Shard I found.

My wife was there too. All Hail Sauron! I sat on Barnet Hill in High Barnet (about 10 miles away) after my german class out of curiosity to see if I could see anything at that distance, I could see the lights on the helicopter hovering overhead over the shard, higher altitude widebodies preparing to land at Heathrow but no frickin lasers.

David.

Archived