DMX pyro

Dazedm

...what would be the need for a DMX Controlled fire...

Precision.

I can train a theatre technician to operate a deadman's handle in an hour. I couldn't train him to fire a show to a piece of music in that time.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They don't keep dissertations in the library any more............

Knobbers........how foolish of me to imagine that there would be room; I imagine all the shelves have been removed to make room for screens to watch Youtube on......which seems to be the starting point for undergraduate research......

grrrrrrrrrrrrr...............

They don't keep dissertations in the library any more............

Knobbers........how foolish of me to imagine that there would be room; I imagine all the shelves have been removed to make room for screens to watch Youtube on......which seems to be the starting point for undergraduate research......

grrrrrrrrrrrrr...............

I should clarify my original comment. My understanding is that they don't accept new dissertations for inclusion in the collection and haven't done for a few years but I think the old ones are still there. We now require an electronic copy to be submitted as well as the printed copies, but no-one has come up with a sensible plan for making those copies readily accessible.

I personally have a collection of dissertations in the office, including Sams. In addition there is a room here at Markeaton Street where dissertations are stored. However, it is generally a mess and accessing it and finding anything is akin to Arthur Dent finding a planning application for a bypass through his house.

• 3 months later...

I really appreciate all your advice and has made me think a bit more.

I'd split into in two parts, firstly a firing unit. Secondly a 'Dead mans handle' which will only target a specific channel.

I know there are very strong objections to using DMX for pyro due to no error checking and other safety concerns but this aims to prevent any timing issues.

The handle would share the DMX address as the firing unit so that it would only effect that single channel. Other units could share the address so that it cuts them as well. Obviously the handle will need to be connected in series between the desk and first firing unit.

With any pyro there should to be someone able to quickly abort in case it becomes unsafe but this would also allow the timing of DMX.

Don't have the dead man's handle disrupting DMX, a fault with any other receiver including that of the unit could cause a miss-fire. Place a dead man's handle as series push to make switch with the pyro itself. This doesn't rely on any electronics to function correctly.

Josh

Archived