Audinate Dante Cards in Yamaha

Bobbsy

I'm wondering if anyone has used the MY16AUD Audinate Dante card in a Yamaha mixer, either in a live situation or (more specifically) in a recording situation?

A bit of background: for various reasons, sometime in the next couple of months (aided by an expected insurance policy maturing and paying out some money) I need to upgrade my 4 year old laptop that I use in my home studio and also for theatre playback to a 64bit Windows 7 system. (Apple isn't an option.)

My present set up for multitracking involves using a Yamaha DM1000 mixer with MY16AT ADAT cards via an M-Audio Profire Lightbridge and Firewire into (and out of) my laptop. This set up suits me perfectly--plenty of tracks available and the connection between computer and mixer is TOSLINK fibre eliminating any issues of earth loops (which can be an issue when I take the set up into strange venues for live playback).

The trouble is, Firewire seems very much on its way out--my choice of laptops still featuring a 1394 port is limited to say the least. Of the ones I’ve managed to find, all would involve compromises in other areas and/or extremely high prices.

So, as an alternative I’ve been considering replacing the Firewire connection with an MY16AUD card in the mixer and connecting to the laptop via a simple network cable (or two for redundancy).

Hence my question about whether anyone has used the Dante system, particularly with the software they call "Virtual Sound Card"? My questions would be whether anyone know if Audition will detect the inputs and outputs and use them properly, whether there are any issues with latency (they claim very low latency but I’ve yet to find a number) and finally whether the copper wire, albeit carrying data puts me at any risk of earth loops.

Thanks in advance if anyone has tried this.

I've used an MY16AUD for a while in an 01V96, mostly for playback from QLab but also done a bit of recording into Logic or reaper. I've only used the Mac version of DVS and it's been rock solid. The windows version is supposed to present itself as an ASIO device, so it should work fine with audition. I've only used it for playback or tracking to disc, so I cannot comment on the latency but the DVS control panel as a latency drop down where you can select 4,6, or 10ms. You cannot use the redundancy feature with DVS as it supports only one link.

One big advantage for me has been the ability to have two machines on the network, one handling playback duties, and one recording. It should even be possible to record to two or more machines for redundancy against problems with the recorder.

Edited to add: I've not had any problems with ground loops, and it's never crossed my mind. I have in the back of my mind that ethernet is already galvanically isolated and so with UTP cables there won't be a problem, but don't quote me on that!

There is also a small caveat from Audinate:

March 2012: Known issue with Intel 82579V Network Interface Controller (Windows)

Audinate recommends that you avoid using DVS for Windows with the Intel 82579V Network Interface Controller. Under heavy load (i.e. when running DVS with a high channel count) this NIC has been known to drop packets, specifically with driver v11.13.51.0. Other Intel drivers for the 82579V NIC may also exhibit this problem.

If you have this NIC and driver combination, and are experiencing packet loss, please contact Audinate Technical Support for further information.

Richard

So, as an alternative I’ve been considering replacing the Firewire connection with an MY16AUD card in the mixer and connecting to the laptop via a simple network cable (or two for redundancy).

Hence my question about whether anyone has used the Dante system, particularly with the software they call "Virtual Sound Card"? My questions would be whether anyone know if Audition will detect the inputs and outputs and use them properly, whether there are any issues with latency (they claim very low latency but I’ve yet to find a number) and finally whether the copper wire, albeit carrying data puts me at any risk of earth loops.

I have not used the Dante VSC, but those I've spoken to who have report good results. If the cost of the laptop is an issue, it seems hard to justify replacing 2 working MY cards with 2 different ones. There are still laptops with firewire ports. The latency in the VSC can be significant, but in a recording situation it is probably not important. I would not recommend it for round trip insert processing using plug ins on your laptop for live sound.

I'm assuming the no Mac issue is Audition. Too bad, lots of IEEE1394 in Mac land, with only the good chipsets.

Mac

The trouble is, Firewire seems very much on its way out--my choice of laptops still featuring a 1394 port is limited to say the least. Of the ones I’ve managed to find, all would involve compromises in other areas and/or extremely high prices.

Why is 'Apple not an option' to be honest if I had to use a Windows based system for audio I wouldn't use it for anything else at all and it would be missing various things essential in a general use Windows system such as a virus scanner.

The other option rather than Dante would be a MADI card and one of these

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdspe_madiface.php

Assuming you can find a suitable laptop with an Expresscard slot.

Lots to think about there!

Some general info:

First, I say Apple is not an option simply because I have about 30 years PC experience with everything from DOS through to the latest Windows--between experience and some formal training in networking etc. I can make Windows sing and dance. My experience on Mac is very limited and every time I use one I seem to be fighting with its desire to run things for me in a way I don't want. I'm sure given a few years and some expensive training I could learn Apple OS as well...but, frankly, at 60 it doesn't seem worth the effort. Yeah, I'm a lazy old git.

No, Audition isn't an issue any more Mackerr--since CS5.5 it's been a cross platform application (though I don't know if I could do a straight swap without having to buy a new license). However, I do have a reasonable investment other software which IS Windows-only and that's what I'm trying to avoid replacing.

Yeah, I've found a few Windows machines with Firewire--but every one so far has been a "premium" machine with features I don't want and a price tag approaching $3000 Australian. My query was prompted by having worked out that I could have a suitable laptop plus the MY16AUD card (I'd only need one) for between $500 and $1000 less. FYI, my first point aside, a Mac with a similar spec is back up in the Aus $3000 range.

Thanks for the tip on the Intel chip set.

Regarding the Virtual Sound Card, according to the Audinate site it's included with the MY16AUD--but I'll ring them to see if there's some kind of catch like it being a "Lite" version.

Again, thanks to everyone for their comments so far.

Regarding the Virtual Sound Card, according to the Audinate site it's included with the MY16AUD--but I'll ring them to see if there's some kind of catch like it being a "Lite" version.

Again, thanks to everyone for their comments so far.

The included version is the full version, the only catch is it is strictly a one install only type of license, posing the question, what do you do in case of a machine failing. I have heard that Audinate technical support will allow a second installation in these circumstances, but nothing official!

Archived