Extra long Video FireWire Cables

JCoster

Hi. I am currently looking for hugely-long FireWire cables (6-pin male to 4-pin male). If no one knows anywhere to get these, does anyone know if we can extend them with different types of cable e.g. a CAT5? I presume that they are both 4 coil... Help would be greatly appreciated.

Data-Video 20m cable

Check out other data-video cables and stuff as well... a google will turn them up.

Expect whatever solution you use to be expensive.

I would not recommend splicing other cable into firewire leads, it is likely to produce unpredictable results. And the fact that each pair in a given length of CAT-5 is actually a different length, so latency in the cable could become an issue.

Why can't you use DV camcorders at the computer, or whatever, and run composite or S-video to them, and transcode on-the-fly into the computer? Yes, it requires twice the number of cameras, but would probably be a cheaper solution.

David

Thanks for all of your help so far. We are considering the use of S-Video cables but I believe that if it is a long cable, then the quality deteriorates. We are also considering placing the computer backstage and the use of either a MIDI keyboard or a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard to control the computer.

We are considering the use of S-Video cables but I believe that if it is a long cable, then the quality deteriorates.

I have seen s-video driven from a PC graphics card, down 80m of RG-59 coaxial cable, and into a distribution amplifier to be split to 2x projectors and 4x TV's with no problems. Make sure that you do use reasonable coax though, possibly considering RG-6 as it is lower loss than RG-59. Also ensure that both leads are (pretty much) the same length, as otherwise the chroma and luma parts of the signal will arrive at different times, causing colour fading and rolling in the picture. There is no reason why this scenario couldn't also work for you.

David

Archived