Projected vertically orientated image

JeanJason

Is anyone familiar with a durable DLP or LCD 1080p projector that can be laid on its side to project an image with a vertical orientation--9:16 instead of 16:9? I was interested in the Panasonic AE7000 or for Europeans AE5000, but found that it would overheat quickly. Thanks in advance...

Hi.

I've done this very successfully using a Barco W8. Its 16:10 I think but can take native 1080p. the trick is in the flying frame. Ours allow full movement in all directions and leave space for air.

Best,

Swax

practically nothing will run in portrait orientation without at least invalidating the warranty or damaging the unit through overheating which you have proved for yourself.

Without trying to cause an argument The canon Xeed units {which ive got a few of} most definitely shouldnt be used like this. They are prone to overheating and fairly lamp hungry at the best of time, so please dont put it on its side.

As far as im aware the only units that can go on the side are the laser / led casio units {not HD} and the higher end Barco and Digital Projection Models .

As most decent units can be pointed straight up or down which is what manufacturers mean by 360 degree orientation, all you need is aa small front surface mirror to deflect the light and turn portrait into landscape. Ive done this many times and its a easy solution. Im well aware that poeple hire units and run them on their side as its not going to trash the unit instantly, but in an instal situation its not sensible to mount something that will fail and when it fails not be warrantied.

Thanks, everyone who has replied. Seeing as we have four excellent projectors on-hand. I like the front faced mirror idea. I'll need to look into exactly how that can be done--low profile. Otherwise, I'm looking into Digital Projection, Barco.

practically nothing will run in portrait orientation without at least invalidating the warranty or damaging the unit through overheating which you have proved for yourself.

Without trying to cause an argument The canon Xeed units {which ive got a few of} most definitely shouldnt be used like this. They are prone to overheating and fairly lamp hungry at the best of time, so please dont put it on its side.

As far as im aware the only units that can go on the side are the laser / led casio units {not HD} and the higher end Barco and Digital Projection Models .

As most decent units can be pointed straight up or down which is what manufacturers mean by 360 degree orientation, all you need is aa small front surface mirror to deflect the light and turn portrait into landscape. Ive done this many times and its a easy solution. Im well aware that poeple hire units and run them on their side as its not going to trash the unit instantly, but in an instal situation its not sensible to mount something that will fail and when it fails not be warrantied.

Interesting. In Korea Expo, a lot of it is being sponsored and supplied / installed by Panasonic and their affiliate companies. There were a few pavilion which were using the DZ12000 and the SDZ980 units on their side. And from what I can gather Panasonic approve and offer support like that. !

This thread is a typical example of how poor forum help can be on occasion.

the OP is looking for a low brightness machine (as can be seen if you look at the link provided) - suggesting Barco / Christie / DP units when someone is looking for a 3k lumen machine is a bit weird, is it not?

--

to answer the question then I would look at the new Panasonic LED/Laser hybrid units. These are designed for the task in hand and have all the functions you need, including portrait support.

http://panasonic.net/avc/projector/infocomm2012/rz470/index.html

The mirror thing works quite well, but if this is for install then you need to schedule regular (weekly) cleaning of the mirrors as dust will be a problem over time.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/427004_10150618864834873_780854062_n.jpg

Oooo, thanks for the pic. This is very doable. I'm dusting every other day, and I appreciate that note. The Panasonic I mentioned, AE7000 is a 1,600 lumen projector, but its contrast ratio is startling at 100,000:1--making appear brighter than it is.

This thread is a typical example of how poor forum help can be on occasion.

the OP is looking for a low brightness machine (as can be seen if you look at the link provided) - suggesting Barco / Christie / DP units when someone is looking for a 3k lumen machine is a bit weird, is it not?

--

to answer the question then I would look at the new Panasonic LED/Laser hybrid units. These are designed for the task in hand and have all the functions you need, including portrait support.

http://panasonic.net...z470/index.html

The mirror thing works quite well, but if this is for install then you need to schedule regular (weekly) cleaning of the mirrors as dust will be a problem over time.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/427004_10150618864834873_780854062_n.jpg

Archived