Lighting Technician or Engineer

Close Clive, but no cigar. Engineers were and are those who design, construct and generally work with machines, engines, structures and processes. Technicians may install, implement and operate those things.

As for who gets to decide membership it is like the LDA and BMA, the members set the standards for entry. However the overriding authority rests one step down from God in the monarch since it all stems from Royal Commission. WIKI

The hierarchy runs engineer, engineering technologist, engineering technician, idiot tea boy, Kerry.

At least on my sites it seems to.

In my line of work the rules are pretty specific in terms of what you can and can't call yourself, and I think can be applied sensibly to other engineering disciplines. We define 3 different levels of servicing;

Level 1; Fuses, Lamps and Front Panel controls. Maintenance involving taking figures indicated by the equipment itself, and simple checks like voltages.

Level 2; Module and Assembly replacement. Maintenance involving external test equipment such as oscilloscopes.

Level 3; Component replacement. System design, installation and configuration.

An Engineer will carry out all 3 levels of servicing. A Technician will be level 1 and possibly 2 subject to local competency reviews and adequate supervision.

My own personal definition when relating to sound is that if you operate the desk, are a radio mic runner, or generally do a task that's regular and repeatable from show to show, you're probably a techician. If you're involved in system design, assessing the venue and calculating coverage patterns, pull the technical parts of the show together and design and specify the setup, you're probably an engineer.

I get the feeling that as you climb up onto the bigger shows/gigs these roles become more easy to define. Down where I live in the world of amateur theatre, both titles may well refer to the same person, in which case, call yourself what you want! Nobody but your proud parents are ever going to read that page of the programme anyway!

My view is pretty simple... I see it as a guide as to the level of person you are hiring for the day/selling to the client.

if your a general labourer your an auxiliary, your not expected to have the answer to everything but should have a good understanding of how to connect A to B and why.

If you can rig and opp desks etc and are dependent for the average job and able to do "average" problem solving (the usual day to day feedback problems or triping breakers etc) your a technician.

If you call yourself an engineer you need to be REALLY sure you can work you way out of any possible problem that can arrise and your performance needs to be pretty much flawless and you need to take a lot of the responsibilities for things going well and going badly.

I try not to call myself engineer to any clients... purely because if you do, they suddenly expect su much more and hold it against you when things arnt how they want it, even if physically impossible. I think its an easier life being an great tech than a not so great engineer... if you see what I mean....

Generally I only get openly called engineer the days I am out running the OB truck and I'm quite happy that way.

Archived