Live Video Projection at Rock Music Night

JCoster

Hi. At the next Battle of the Bands we plan to project live video from many different sources such as fully op'ed cameras and podded ones like at proper gigs. Getting the inputs from the cameras to a computer is no problem as such, however, we don't know what the best piece of software to use would be. We need to be able to change video sources in full-screen mode and possibly use transition effects in-between the change of video sources as well as possible text lay-overs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--

James Coster

james.coster@gmail.com

James.

I don't see why you want to bring your cameras to a computer. It would make more sense to bring them to a vision mixer. I assume that you don't have professional cameras so you need a genlocked vision mixer with a TBC on each chanel or ME bus.

For Transition effects you would need some form of DVE, again there are simple DVEs built into domestic vision mixers. The quality isn't brilliant but it will do the job,

For compositing text you will need a source of text and a keyer. Some vision mixers also have keyers built in. If you want to have the text on the output of the mixer and not do anything funky with it a dsk (down stream keyer) or external keyer will work fine, If you want to do funky stuff with the keyed text then you need to find a mixer with a key on an ME bus.

Hope this helps.

If you realy want to do funy stuff with the video then have a look at a Snell & Wilcox Magic DaVE you can get these to accept non sync sources and it has some great DVE effects. (although the buttons are a little small IMHO)

James

James

James, thank you for your reply, however, our budget won't stretch as far as a vision mixer. This is why it would be easier for us to use a computer, unless you know anywhere that vision mixers are going cheap! Is there anywhere you know of that does a software vision mixer or some kind of multiple video input server?

A little update... Will use the trial version of Arkaos on a new computer.* Have 2 Panasonic PTAE700SCREEN projectors from jibelectrical.co.uk. Now all we need is to find a way to hang them from lighting rails... Any suggestions?

*Ordered today! Delivery late next week... Spec:

3.6Ghz Pentium 4 HT

1Gb RAM

180GB HDD

DVD-RW/CD-RW Combi

DVD/CD Combi

Built-in 10/100 NIC

3 Firewire ports (400mb/s)

Black Tech Case

And the best part of all... a 3.5" floppy drive!

...Have 2  Panasonic PTAE700SCREEN projectors... Now all we need is to find a way to hang them from lighting rails...  Any suggestions?

Built-in 10/100 NEC

And the best part of all... a 3.5" floppy drive!

Unicol make a selection of projector brackets, including some which will hang over scaff or lighting bars. Their website is here: Unicol

[Pedant] Don't you mean NIC not NEC? As in, Network Interface Card. :P [/Pedant]

Don't knock floppy drives, they are extremely useful for bootdisks, as well as making things such as 'password reset disks' (although I hate this particular idea). :rolleyes:

Unicol make a selection of projector brackets, including some which will hang over scaff or lighting bars. Their website is here: Unicol

Good stuff, all of it, but boy does it cost! However, you can get good discounts for schools etc. (I use Kingston Supplies, 0208 3302446) They will make a custom plate for you projector if they don't have a stock item. You then add standard poles etc.

It also maker regular ebay appearances, but watch the shipping costs, and you are unlikey to get plates for modern LCDs yet.

There are a number of hire companies who stock unicol, although unless you can find one with the same projectors you may have to buy the plates yourself.

Have you bought the projectors? It might be worth investing in some of the unicol stuff if you plan to use them like this again.

Does anyone know if you may use normal ali or scaff bar with unicol fittings? (I mean, are you allowed to, not can you)

hi,

I bourght a couple of cheap uniersal projector mounts off ebay for 30 quid each and fitted two G clamps to them.. then made sure the whole thing had a couple of safety chains on it.. seems to be pretty secure and worked well.. but not as secure as a unicol fitting..

rgds

chris

Archived