School lighting

THETECHGUY

Hello , at the moment I am doing lighting for a school and a theatre. My friend works for a company called astral designs who operates and riggs lighting for events such as Glastobbury and strictly come dancing. He has give me lots of ideas and helpful knowledge and if there is anything else IMPORTANT I need to know for lighting , please respond

Thanks HARRY

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Hi Harry,

Welcome to the Blue Room forum, it's good to know that young people with an interest in lighting have joined the forum and are looking to engage in discussion about the industry. A few friendly tips for you though, if you want to know anything, it's better to come here with a question for us, rather than you asking if there's anything we think you should know. If we're going to be honest there's a lot that you should know about the industry!

Another quick tip, make sure you spell check before you submit your post on the forum, it can look like you haven't put that much thought into your post if there are errors.

Once again welcome to the forum!

Edit:- Not trying to sound like I'm backseat moderating or anything, but next time Harry, there's a forum just below this catagory called 'Lighting', all general questions should go in there, or even perhaps the "Next Generation" forum, which may be more up your street.

Best,

Adam

As Adam said, a more specific question would help us give some more effective responses. What kind of venue does your school have? Is it a school hall kitted out with lighting and sound equipment? A dedicated theatre space? What audience capacity does it have? Is the lighting DMX (digital) or analogue? Answering these sort of questions will let us know what your dealing with, as well as how much you know about lighting from the vocab you use when replying.

All the best, Tom.

I'm in pretty much the same situation as you, but I'll still offer one bit of advice that I've found invaluable (in general): Don't be afraid to ask for help!!

If there's something you're not use how to do, a piece of equipment you're not sure how to use etc. find someone who does and pick their brains. Especially if you're not sure how to do something safely then ask someone.

Also, if there's maybe someone else interested in the tech stuff then use them! Don't see it as if more experienced people are being patronising or trying to 'steal your job'! Ask them questions, and more questions and learn everything you can for them. Always always always ask why!! Its the best way to learn.

Hope this helps and hope you have fun learning!!

Joe

There are plenty of books on the subject - even old ones are worth reading.

What we are trying to do hasn't changed only the equipment has.

You wanted an important thing. For me it's don't get hung up on technology it's what the lighting does which matters not how.

I second the dont be scared to ask for help. I keep getting asked by schools/universitiys for a hand here and there. It is a welcome break from my regular work and Im only too happy to help.

I can think of a few thousand things that are "useful to know" but it all depends on your equipment and size what I should tell you. I have been in school halls that can seat 400 and ones that can seat 50, although certain principals are the same. Its all depends on your space.

Play safe and message me If I can be of any use

Welcome to BR, Harry.

if there is anything else IMPORTANT I need to know for lighting

I wish I had all the answers but I'm only sixty something so am still learning myself. That itself is very important, never stop learning, nobody knows it all.

Firstly it would help in future if you filled in your profile with age, interests and stuff like that. Old farts like me might answer queries in techspeak you would have difficulty with, leaving you just as confused by the somewhat odd jargon we can use unwittingly.

Secondly, though you may not believe this now, 99% of questions have been answered before, BR is massive and has been around for a while so the search box is the first place to look. Underneath your name, top right, just type in a key word and oodles of information is available immediately, try it.

Thirdly, this is an open forum so what I think it absolutely vital that you learn right now is not the same as other members do. Any topic question posed will bring up a variety of answers and opinions. Be patient, take them all on board and only then decide what applies to your situation. I can be as wrong as anyone and the first response might not be the right, or even sane one. ( We do like a giggle occasionally and the in-jokes take time to spot.)

Enjoy the forum and stay safe.

Push yourself and experiment with new/different styles and techniques but know your limits and recognise when it's best to call in a professional, especially when dealing with electricity.

There are plenty of books on the subject

I recently bought Skip Mort's "Stage Lighting, The Technician's Guide". Full of information and helpful hints. I would highly recommend it.

Push yourself and experiment with new/different styles and techniques but know your limits and recognise when it's best to call in a professional, especially when dealing with electricity.

There are plenty of books on the subject

I recently bought Skip Mort's "Stage Lighting, The Technician's Guide". Full of information and helpful hints. I would highly recommend it.

Archived