Microphone Shock mounts...

Sam Jelfs

Hi all,

maybe someone can help, though this is slightly out of the Theatre realm. I am in need of a microphone shock mount, but for a 1/2" diameter mic (a B&K free-field reference mic). I've looked at the usual suspects, but none seem to indicate that they will be able to support such a small mic, just wondering if anyone knows or has a mount that they can say will definitely hold a thin reference mic.

Cheers

Thanks everyone, the Rycote INV-4 looks like it should do the job, now just to find a Dutch company that will accept AmEx to purchase it from (avoids having to go through the purchasing system at work which takes weeks...)

The AKG says it only works with mics 15mm and up, which whilst it might work with ours (max dia of 12.2mm at the capsule end, narrowing to only 11mm at the cable end) I am not sure I want to risk it, especially given the location where this thing will be hung (critical care unit of a hospital), we can't afford for it to fall / move etc.

Again, the thomann mount is designed for a 16mm microphone, not sure how well it would work with the smaller B&K mic.

Thanks again.

The AKG has overlapping elastics - so has no problem with tiny mics - however, they are thinnish - so although they cope with angles (from my own experience) of horizontal up to 50 degrees up from horizontal, your mention of where the mics will be 'hung' makes me wonder if you're thinking a nearer vertical suspension - and if so, the thinness of the elastics suggests to me the friction for preventing downwards slide would not be sufficient.

there is very little difference in price between the AKG and the Rycote, so seen as the rycote explicitly says it can handle our mic sizes it seems the safer bet. The mic will be positioned horizontally but hung under a bar, its an omni-directional mic so the orientation is less critical.

Archived