Sound Level Logger

smalljoshua

Pretty much as the title says really. I was looking through one of the CPC leaflets earlier today and spotted this interesting looking item.

http://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/in05708/sound-level-data-logger/dp/IN05708

It's a Logging Sound Meter without a screen.

This perked my interest as an easy way to monitor sound exposure during events and similar as the council are getting ever more stringent on the records that they ask for during and after an event.

Does anyone have any experience of this unit? I'm especially interested in the software as there is no information on this at all.

Does it have any LEQ functions or similar?

Josh

A google image search brings up that same unit badged under several different names (usual drill for cheap Chinese products). There's a scathing review on Amazon for one of them that would suggest steering clear... The instruction manual I found was half a side of A4 - not exactly comprehensive.

I'd be interested in seeing just how open that was to being calibrated (and staying in calibration, for that matter) before I used it on anything where environmental health were likely to get involved.

The ones that EHO's and councils tend to use cost around £400 for non-logging versions and £700 to £800 for memory card models. Does that give some indication of how they are likely to view these instruments? They may just be the new sliced bread though I doubt it.

@Kerry - You make a very good point about the cost of the meters that the council use, we already own a Pulsar Instruments meter which we get calibrated every year for events where EHO (specifically EHO, not the council events people) get involved.

The type of event I'm on about is ones where the client (be it council or otherwise) asks us "how loud was it at 6pm?" it's more of a curiosity thing for them than any form of record keeping. We currently take a reading every 15 mins and write it down on a piece of paper at FOH. It'd be easier to just place this conveniently and work from there.

@Pritch - I agree, calibration of some form would be nice, but given the accuracy of +/-1.4dB anyway, it might not help that much.

@Shez - Thanks for pointing out those!

As I said, this was more of a cursory glance at the product than a "I'm going to buy this, try stop me" post. Thanks for the information.

Josh

Archived