QLab Video and Midi

Gareth A

Does anyone have any practical experience in firing videos in QLab via a MIDI command from a lighting desk? Not sure what desk at this stage.

What hardware does it require to interface the two?

Any suggestions gratefully welcome.

I have had a google, but most of the information I can find is about using QLab to fire OUT commands not in, and I have a bit of a google issue in China not allowing thousands of results to work !

Cheers

I've done this before. You need the QLab License that enables MIDI input (if you're triggering via MTC/SMPTE then this is covered in the Pro Video license. If you're triggering via any other form of MIDI control then you need the Pro MIDI license as well as Pro Video). Both can be brought/hired from Figure 53 Website

You will also need a USB/MIDI Interface to get the MIDI into your computer. I use the M-Audio MIDI-Man however there are hundreds out there.

Then in the inspector window for the cues you want MIDI controlled, you assign them a MIDI trigger. Set up your desk to output MIDI (however you do that), and it should work http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Hope this helps

As CharlieH says. Covers pretty much all the info above, if you have the relevant licences, the Midi input hardware for the Mac and however you fire out of the lighting desk.

MIDI Show Control is nice and simple and just works. Make sure you have the correct cue number allocated to the Qlab cue you want to fire and that MSC is being sent and received and it replaces a GO button press on Qlab.

If you want more complex remote control of videos from the console (like a media server) I would go another route. But for firing off Qlab cues by the LX operator, it's all good.

Cheers Charlie / Rob.

Yeah its a very simple one cue at a time - go etc etc. Programming is quite hard, but playback for them will be much easier. Saves on an operator too!

Cheers for your input. ! Any other advice, I'm all ears. !

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Gareth,

Not sure what level of interactivity your going for, but if you wanted cool sensors to cue the videos, ICubeX works with qlab:

http://infusionsystems.com/catalog/info_pages.php?pages_id=237

Even if that's not what you want, the video there can describe how to get MIDI information into QLab, you just have to figure out how to get MIDI out of whatever it is you plan to use.

Aaron

Archived