Which Moving Heads (250W MSD)?

amillar

I didn't have an issue regarding noise when I used the mac 250+'s admitadly they werent being used in a church... what are the acoustics like?

The main Church where I would be using them is a very modern building and designed to be acoustically quite dead so I imagine it wouldn't be a big problem there - but I will use them in other Churches and halls too and some places can be a bit like an aircraft hanger.

Andrew.

PS: On the PR150 thread I have not heard good reports about their reliability.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the original poster was asking about 250's but I have a couple of Coemar iSpot 150's which have great optics in, and are very bright for 150's.

I have some of the abstract VRX barrel scanners as well (gladiators) which are also 150 discharge lamps, and there is no comparison what so ever, It just shows that difference you get when the optics are well designed, so don't discount 150's as they can be good.

The only thing I would have liked on the iSpot is an iris, and maybe a prism would have been cool. But as I pay for my own kit for use in the Church / Youth group, I have buy what's cheap and around (generally from ebay or ex renal etc).

It just shows that difference you get when the optics are well designed, so don't discount 150's as they can be good.

The only thing I would have liked on the iSpot is an iris, and maybe a prism would have been cool.

A prism (rotating preferably) is on my list of requirements and I couldn't see any 150 units that had them.

Other positives for 150s are weight and, of course, cost...I suspected the optics are better now but I do want something that will cut through a stage lit with 500W raylights and 650W Fresnels.

Andrew.

A prism (rotating preferably) is on my list of requirements and I couldn't see any 150 units that had them.

I have an elite servospot250 (which isthe twin brother of robe's MSD250 Moving Head) and I have to warn you, the overall noise of the fixture is acceptable but if you put the rotating prism in it quickly become *very* noisy.

Well, just to let you all know that I have made my decision and placed my order :huh:

Thanks to all of you for the valuable input and advice

Reasons for my choice included:

- very very good price for these units from a UK supplier

- good wide beam angle fitted as standard

- reportedly less noisy than some of the others I was considering

- meets all my wish list requirements

- ability to easily source additional units via hire

- confidence in after sales support and service/spares etc

I'll let you guess (should be fairly easy) what I went for.

It's been fun (scary) choosing - can't wait to get them now.

Cheers,

Andrew.

PS: What a great forum!

Other products worth a look

Coemar Prospot 250lx List £1550

Geni Oby 3 List £ 999

Most manufactures of 250's are better than the older mac250 series on output due to the Mac having a aluminium spun reflector, most everyone else use Glass. Of course martin now use a glass reflector and they use this in the Krypton and Entour. The Entour has two gobo wheels which is good.

Ian kirby

I have 16 Robe 250xt washes out at the moment and they are fanstastic... they are quick with good colours and very bright I am using them with 2000 spots and they are holding up very well.... in 15 dates only swapped 1 out and that was bulb fault not fixture.... highly recomended.

Archived