Which Moving Heads (250W MSD)?

amillar

I have 4 pearl river 250, Im in love with them, aint had any probs wit them either...

I bought them as they have 2 gobo wheels, and they do come with some glass gobo's, the two gobo wheels in my opion just make them far more flexible and you can be more creative with them comparied to a mac 250+ and there cheap, I also found that the roating system in them far better, then a mac 250+ which if I remeber, just uses a elastic band.

Also PR dont actual copy other brands, PR make moving light for other companys...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I must admit the GLP looks beefy and well built, but I wouldnt really go for it knowing that it seems to be a spin off from showtec and stairville, with a dash of future light thrown in.

The GLP Units are built in China... with software and hardware designed in Germany. Hence the units are 'designed' as opposed to copies... you may find that showtec units are built in the same factory with a different provider of software.

If you are having issues contacting AVAIL in Dublin, contact geoff jones @ ivision, they have a good stock of the units and are UK distributor - you could probably get some demo units.

FYI GLP have an Electronic Blast 575w Unit that is only slightly more than a 250, weighs less and has a few more functions.

Regards

Tim

They point out the front of the unit, same as the LAD in a technobeam. One of those gimmicks that is sometimes useful for focusing in daylight. if you have enough units you can do red laser beams about the venue too. Has it's own DMX channel as lets face it you won't want it on all the time...

Well I'm glad I came over this topic!

I'm in the same boat as Andrew at mo, in the respect, I have a budget of £2000 that I'm looking at getting some moving head units. At the mo I have got my eyes on the PR250 Road Kit from Thomann view site as it is in my budget with a bit over to put away, or keep for spares! :o

I have used these units in a number of concerts and have had no problems with them.

Well hope you have fun choosing.

Best of luck,

Phil :D

They point out the front of the unit, same as the LAD in a technobeam. One of those gimmicks that is sometimes useful for focusing in daylight. if you have enough units you can do red laser beams about the venue too. Has it's own DMX channel as lets face it you won't want it on all the time...

ahhh right.

But its only something like 4mw which isnt gonna be great in bright ambience, I would also find it very difficult to focus with a small red dot, My eye sight is shot o peices.

I supose on a big rig, and a large set, finding a laser dot, is a bit like a needle in a hay stack.

ive also found out that the laser has a sound to light function :D

I think like you say its a bit like a gimick, just stuck it in cos nobody else has.

I think I would just buy a laser.

is there not a safety issue with using this effect, as its a straight beam of light. Bit like a laser pen, so in thery you could point it direct in somebodys eye!!.

I must admit im not entirely convinced with the PR fixtures, for how many functions they have, and for what price they are knocking them out at, they must have cheap compotants in them because fixtures like Robe, martin, SGM, CP ect that have the same spec are a far bit more exspensive................surely?

I also know that PR are a OEM for Skytronics, and skytronics are the PR distributer, and Skytronics are know for shoddy kit.

im not slagging these units or manufacturers off.

I just need a little bit more convincing.

I have used PR, and the effect is good, and fairly bright, but after lifting the lid you see a whole matter of different opinions...................

vince

I have used PR, and the effect is good, and fairly bright, but after lifting the lid you see a whole matter of different opinions................... 

what do you mean Vince? :huh:

I had a quick look around prices and found the following RRP's

MAC250+ £1795.00 (AC)

Robe £1350.00 (AC)

PR250 £1299.00 (MilTec)

I know you can get them cheeper if you look around, Thomann for example...

On that note, does anyone know why Thomann can sell the PR250 for approx. £600? but retails at £1299?

They all seem to have the same specs, so in the end I spose it is a choice on Brand (or looks? BTW, dont you think the PR575 looks good!!!?).

I'm still set on the PR's (AT THE MO!), I think it is the best deal...(2 of them + FlightCase...) we'll c!

Andrew, If I get them and not impressed, I'll let you know!! :P

Continue looking...

Phil :)

We use HES spot 250's and they're fantastic for the more arty things as they have two gobo wheels with pretty decent lithos rather than steels, but they are expensive and not the brightest 250

Don't think anyones mentioned the Tourspots AC are selling - pretty fast movenment but when we compared them to HES spot 250's the optics were atrocious - but that doesn't matter for many things. They are cheap though

A lot of the guys I work with rave about the new martin 250 range. I loath Martin stuff so won't get into that but you should probably put them very near the top of your list from what I know

T.D.

They all seem to have the same specs, so in the end I spose it is a choice on Brand (or looks? BTW, dont you think the PR575 looks good!!!?). 

I'm still set on the PR's (AT THE MO!), I think it is the best deal...(2 of them + FlightCase...) we'll c! 

Andrew, If I get them and not impressed, I'll let you know!! :huh: 

Continue looking... 

Phil :)

Yep - the PRs from Thomann are certainly the best deal and functionally very rich - also, I think all the posts on this topic from people that have them are positive.

The PR575 does look very well - I wonder when Thomann will start selling and at how much?

Has anyone out there had any problems with PR (esp the Pilot 250s) or can say why I should not buy product from this company? (ie are there any facts behind the rumours that they copy other patented designs?)

At the mo, my favorites are PR and GLP - I can't say exactly why, there's just something I like about the GLPs.

Robe are close but I don't think they include lamps so that would push them up to £2K, even from Thomann.

Andrew.

Pearl River list on their who`s who page, Steve Tulk, R&D, who was with High End for many years and Paul Dodd,VP, who is a big cheese in the UK disco lighting market.

The Orland scan does look fresh off the photocopier from a set of Golden Scan drawings but sure some of their other products are a bit more original. The original Intellabeam had a similar heritage.

BTW anyone any opinions/experience of the PIlot 150?

Pilot 150s are really basic (i.e. caveman) but not too bad at all especially for the price they are. I've used them a few times for small band/dance lighting. Because they are so basic it means that there isn't that much that can go wrong with them (and if it does it's easier to fix). Also they cost so little you can afford loads of them (rather than 2 Mac250s or whatever). However they certainly are not as resistant to being thrown around as the more expensive stuff.

Bottom line - fine for lighting bands, bright punchy beams etc, don't touch them for theatre.

The PR150 is mostly aimed at shops and displays.

It has nice features, for a shop window, but struggles on concerts.

Tried it once, they look good with haze, but add a PAR wash, and they disappear.

Spose they would be all-right for DISCOs, as most effects are 150w? Not sure.?

Soz cant be much of a help with the 150's, not a big user of them.

I did wonder about going for 4 Pilot 150s but I didn't think they would be terribly bright and they don't have many functions.

Back to my original dilemma over which 250MSD to go for - I am wondering if noise is a bigger problem with some of the units over others? I hadn't really thought of this as an issue and I did think that someone mentioned the fact that the PRs are much noisier than Macs but I can't seem to find that post now.

So, anyone who has used more than one of these units (PR 250s, GLP YPOC 250, Mac 250+, Robe Color/Sport 250s) like to comment?

I don't really want something that is going to sound like a powerstation in the background during the quiet moments (bearing in mind they will be used for Church events mainly).

Thanks,

Andrew.

Archived