Multitools

Bryson

Without trying to resurrect the "Great Multitool Debate" (in versions A or B ), I wondered if anyone had any experience of the new Gerber Legend and Urban Legend?

And, yes, I have looked at the Leatherman wave (For all those in the "A" camp)

And, yes, I know real tools are preferable for any extended or "proper" job. (For those in the "B" camp.)

I just wondered about replacing my Gerber 600 scout, and was looking at the new toys....

• 4 weeks later...

The Met's page on Offensive weapons, for the youth...

I suppose it could be argued that the serrations make it a weapon that has been "adapted for causing injury."

But the blades are less than 3 inches long, and fold, which takes them out of the parameters of the Criminal Justice Act 1988.

You are covered by the Prevention of Crime Act 1953, which classifies an "offensive weapon." Basically the onus is on you to prove that you have the knife for a legitimate purpose. ie: You use it for work, or it is a religous or cultural obligation. (I believe Sikhs are obliged to carry a "sword" at all times.)

So, overall: the serrated blade on your Leatherman is not illegal per se: But it could be argued to be so in court by the prosecution, and could be regarded as such by a policeman. You'd have to settle it in court. Probably best to leave it at work or carry it in your bag for now...

Basically the onus is on you to prove that you have the knife for a legitimate purpose. ie: You use it for work, or it is a religous or cultural obligation. (I believe Sikhs are obliged to carry a "sword" at all times.)

I remember when I was asking about this I was told by the police that it is also partly in the nature of your enviroment, IE if you are at a fooltball match and trouble kicks off around you and the police notice you are carying it then you have a lot of expolaining to do. However if you are on your way home from work on the bus or tube....

I've carried a Leatherman onto a Ferry, and had it checked by customs officers with no trouble - I was in a coach party at the time, and for whatever reason they wanted to see every penknife/multitool etc on the coach. They had no problem with a leatherman.

--N

Edit

Having said this, they would have had fun trying to get me to part with it. :D

The laws are flexiable on knives. there is the page that Bryson liked to earlier as a guide, however it is quites easy to think about. if you are at work on in the process of traveling to or from it then as the leatherman is a tool it is fine and nobody would have a problem with you carrying it. However if you are going to the cinema and carry it then the argument is that it is not being carried as a tool for a purpose and it could be regarded as a weapon.

infact to back this up, the police have to follow the same rules as the rest of us with regards to carrying offensive waepons and every policeman is required to carry a kinfe for use as a tool, next time you see a policeman have a look at his belt, you will almost certainly see a leatherman as this is the tool of choice for most officers, they have to have the knife they chose checked by their comanding officer and the leatherman pass the check.

having said that you cannot now carry a knife of any type on a ferry of plane, but most other places are fine

having said that you cannot now carry a knife of any type on a ferry of plane, but most other places are fine

You can also take your leatherman on a plane provided it is locked in your suitcase and not in the hand luggage you take with you onto the plane. I did the first week of a tour to the US last summer and took both my leatherman and Maglight there and back with no problems whatsoever.

You can also take your leatherman on a plane provided it is locked in your suitcase and not in the hand luggage you take with you onto the plane

that why I put carry not that you cant take it with at all

Archived