Steel deck legs

jenniem

This is probably a daft questions but ... I need to cut some legs to make sure that the deck is exactly 2ft high, how high do I need to cut them to make sure this is the case? Is there a standard measurement for this that can be applied to legs of all heights?

This is probably a daft questions but ... I need to cut some legs to make sure that the deck is exactly 2ft high, how high do I need to cut them to make sure this is the case? Is there a standard measurement for this that can be applied to legs of all heights?

It is probably best to put your oversize legs in, measure and mark with a tape measure and cut to mark!

Put the steel deck on its edge (get someone to hold it for you) then put the leg in and cut at the right size , that will give you a pattern for the rest. "SIMPLES"

HTH

PJ

I have always reckoned on cutting 30mm short of the finished height required, to allow for the deck top, the felt and the end cap. Some people put an end cap in each end and you will need to allow another 5 to 7mm depending on type of cap.

For example, for a 2' finished height leg, I would cut a leg at 580mm.

Hi there,

We always cut our steel deck legs 1 inch short of the required height, when working in old measurements, most of our build crew were brought up on feet and inches. As all our legs are fitted withend caps it means when cutting any facing to the same desired height it is slightly shorter so that it does not stick over the top of the deck and get kicked.

If using 'supplied' equipment, the scaff tube is 30mm shorter than the finished deck height. That is indeed made up by:18mm ply, 2mm compressed foam (6mm uncompressed), 3mm end cap to leg post, and 7mm plastic end cap to leg.Other end caps may differ. Other makes of deck may differ.

Hi,

Thanks for the responses - much appreciated. We are hiring in decking and need to make some custom legs but to exact heights and don't want to cut on site unless we can help it. The measurements above are really helpful, backed up what we thought which is good!

Could you not use a chop saw with a stop of some sort then all legs would be the same length.

I don't think the OP is concerned with consistency of cuts so much, as working out what length the legs need to be for a given deck height (I.e, if I want the deck at 385mm, what length do I need the legs? The have to take into account the ply and end stops, etc.)

David

• 2 months later...

Archived