Chroma Q colour splits

numberwrong

I'm on a show with 6 Chroma Q colour splits to up light a set

They are playing up and flashing occasionally (all together). I also noticed on rig that during this ocasional flicker one unit was resetting and the LDC display was going crazy, I replaced the unit but the same thing happend with the replacement. I've changed DMX cables run different power and done all the usual fault finding.

DMX wise the line is terminated, run is about 60m from desk. The lights have a DMX signal strength meter which is showing good at the end of chain.

Desk is an ETC smart fade and cant be more than 6 months old

When no DMX is present the lights are stable and keep last values. All other DMX lighting on the rig is fine (including other cheap LED PARs).

I am convinced this is a fault with the units even though all the symptoms point to poor DMX.

Any ideas?

I also noticed on rig that during this occasional flicker one unit was resetting and the LCD display was going crazy, I replaced the unit but the same thing happened with the replacement. I've changed DMX cables run different power and done all the usual fault finding.

That's worrying.

I'd be very concerned that the unit was resetting itself. This implies some sort of power problem

; either the supply to the unit is intermittent or there is a nasty voltage difference between grounds.

The manual does say...

Important Notice: The use of an opto-splitter for DMX signal distribution is highly

recommended when several fixture units are not plugged into the same power source.

...which would indicate that they have non-isolated receivers or even grounded receivers.

How is everything powered?

Another thought - have you tried turning down the DMX rate on the desk? It's easy to do in the setup menu.

The DMX speed set to 'slow' on the smart fade sorted it.

This is a worrying problem as I have had this problem before working for same company (units may or may not have been the same ones) but the desk was a Zero 88 jester which has no control on the DMX out.

Archived