DMX & Multicore Issue

matthew_ob

I thought I'd add this comment to this topic as it sort of links. I came across a drum of red unbranded mic cable in the store. Not sure where it came from, didn't match any brands I normally would buy, but thought I'd take the opportunity of the nice weather to sit in the garden and make it up into 8 12.5m 3 pin XLRs and use them to connect up some movers for a project where I'd have a start DMX system - with distro in the middle, and then long runs to each mover. I unrolled it all around the garden and soldered on the first plug. By the time I got to chopping off the 12.5, I'd carefully marked out, the cable seemed much more floppy than when I started, which I assumed was the sun on the plastic. I chopped through at 12.5m and found ....... nothing. Solid red plastic all the way through! Moving on down the cable and chopping at random, there wasn't a trace of copper anywhere. Chopping backwards revealed the copper stopped at about 6 m. The rest of the drum contained nothing but nice red plastic!

I can't complain because the source is long gone - but I've never had wireless cable before!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived