Show cues & scripts

Solstace

Okay - here's my current preferred way of cueing/being cued when mixing something like a panto or a musical. Given that I usually end up on shows where huge amounts of radio-mic reinforcement is required, I'm mixing like crazy, having to chase the principles on and off stage, often at the same time as doing CD cues. All too often the SM or ASM aren't on cans, in which case I'm totally reliant on cueing myself!!

I hate being on cans while mixing a show, and rarely have an assistant on hand to handle the script and cue me. So, my usual solution is to obtain an electronic copy of the script, save it as an HTML file and have it displayed in a fullscreen incidence of Internet Explorer, making for easy page flipping and preventing "additional" typing when going for the Page Down key in a hurry in the dark. While I always keep a paper copy in a binder with me, I find the laptop easier to read, given that the screen is backlit and all. It's also quieter than my usual "turn the page and swear profusely when I lose me way or drop a sheet" technique!!

The question really, is how do you guys handle your cues etc? Am I missing something here? Should I be learning to use cans while mixing a show?

sorry... just having a little bout of paranoia!! :** laughs out loud **:

... Internet Explorer, making for easy page flipping and preventing "additional" typing when going for the Page Down key in a hurry in the dark...

If your using IE, tapping the space bar has the same effect, and is alot easier to find in the dark. :** laughs out loud **: (and this is where glow-tape is your friend anyway ;) )

I've tried the lap-top route - found it fine for light entertainment. In fact what we did as an experiment was put a remote extra monitor, mouse and k/b on th end of a 10m cable and put one on sound, and the other on lx. worked fine, and in busy moments, the lx op scolled the screen for sound and vice versa- handy just as an aide memoir. However, it degenerated into a way of talking to each other in silence during the dull bits

For me, I'll stick to a script that I can destroy by frantic underlining, quick lines through skipped dialogue, and big, thick marker pen!

Cheers Tom for the IE tip - used it for years but never knew about that one! (Now to find some purple glow-tape)

I do hope you can see your call button...nothing makes me angrier than trying to get hold of the noisemonkey when he hasn't got his cans on and is lost in his own little world, unable to see the flashing yellow light...

Yup - I'm usually a bit too good at responding to the call light - usually takes me a couple of shows in each run to learn whether a flash is to signify an LX cue or to get my attention. Usually results in me getting the headset on just in time to hear "LX cue XXX, GO!"

And clearly before each show/act the cans are on (when I'm not hanging out of the nearest fire escape doing my smoke-machine impression)

So I take it you never have a proper DSM to cue the whole thing so you can follow a cue sheet rather than the script? Thats the best solution!!

Sam

I agree that's the best solution - if there is a DSM, I usually end up sharing on the same comms circuit as every one else, which given the lack of proper cue-lights on most shows I do, means plenty of confusion when the call-lights end up being used as cue signals... leaving me back at square 1 having to listen in on the cans the whole time, or following my own script and paying careful attention to that call-light. At least the A&H ML-series desks have comms built in, which can be routed through me earbashers alongside the mix - confusing at times but a good compromise... :** laughs out loud **:

I agree that's the best solution - if there is a DSM, I usually end up sharing on the same comms circuit as every one else, which given the lack of proper cue-lights on most shows I do, means plenty of confusion when the call-lights end up being used as cue signals... leaving me back at square 1 having to listen in on the cans the whole time, or following my own script and paying careful attention to that call-light. At least the A&H ML-series desks have comms built in, which can be routed through me earbashers alongside the mix - confusing at times but a good compromise...

Haven't done this before but if you have a 2 circuit techpro comms system you could bung lx and other depts that don't need to take there cans off on 1 circuit and sound on another then instead of giving a s/b q the DSM could signal your circuit. You could then put your cans on and wait for the cue then when the cueing sequence is finished you can take them off! You can also adapt beltpacks or buy special ones so the signal button is really huge so you can see it clearer.

If you get what I mean!

Sam

I'm happy with cue lights, I'm even happy with a jab in the ribs - but I hate having to put cans on and take cues from the DSM. I think it's a bit like asking the lx to press go with their eyes shut.

I guess it's fine on music cue only shows, when levels are not much of an issue, but for musicals and panto I need both ears.

I guess it's fine on music cue only shows, when levels are not much of an issue, but for musicals and panto I need both ears.

I couldn't agree more with that. If I'm running sound that's what I want to be doing. Not listening to others talking cause they have no cues.

If I'm running sound I'll cue myself with a paper script and be on cans at the beginning of each act announcing as soon as the overture or entract starts that I am off cans and if they need me to flash the call light.

Usually it's me back on cans before they call for me because I've noticed a radio mic fault etc.

Tony

Any shows that I have done im always off cans, you have a Q lite, use it! After doing the show for about a week I usually pick on keys lines in the script that I know I have a Q soon.With musicals you generally have 2 buttons anyway VCA changes and SFX. Also on musicals get a sliding script tray, its so much easier you can push the tray to one side if you need to get to something in a rush.

Plus most of the DSMs I have worked with dont call sound Qs due to most ops are off cans!

I'm happy with cue lights, I'm even happy with a jab in the ribs - but I hate having to put cans on and take cues from the DSM. I think it's a bit like asking the lx to press go with their eyes shut.

Hear, hear! (Pun intended!)

When doing a show that's just a few FX or Music Cues to playback, wearing cans and taking DSM cues is okay, but there's no way to mix properly with a comms headset on if you're doing a show with live mics. Since most of my work for the past year has been musicals and pantos, I've spent little time with the headset on. I do keep the cue light in my eyeline though!

In any case, on most of the shows I do, handling the mics is a bigger part of my workload than Sound Effects anyway...and the DSM doesn't provide any help on this anyway. Add to that the number of effects that would be of the "take a visual cue for yourself, sound" variety anyway, and you can see how rarely I end up taking cues. On a couple of shows, I've actually marked up my script to include a note to "put on the cans" at certain points where upcoming cues DO need coordination with other departments.

As for HOW I mark my script, I've flirted with the idea of reading off a screen, but have gone back to a marked up hardcopy in a ring binder. I found I prefer the ability to grab a pencil and make big notes for myself on the fly. A second issue is the sheer number of screens I could end up with....I usually use a PC system for FX playback nowadays, plus my last few shows have been on a digital mixer with Yamaha Studio Manager software running, at least through tech. There's a limit to how many screens I can dot around!

Bob

Personally.

I usually run my SFX using SFX [Pro Audio Show Control] where I have already added my cues into the system through the notes page. With straight theatre where I only have SFX + music cues to worry about I find (Given I generally do amdram and we don't have the luxury of an ASM) that I can work without a script by the time rehearsals have finished. If I'm mixing mic's, I really don't want a headset (the quote about asking an LD to design with their eyes closed is particularly apt!) and I generally come back to using SFX again. I add in the significant cues (generally where there is a change in automation) type the cue in and the relevant section from the script. And I'm happy. I can mix mic's by myself and regularly glance up at the SFX screen to see when the next cue is, This way I don't get distracted attempting to follow pages of irrelevant script.

James

For me, I'll stick to a script that I can destroy by frantic underlining, quick lines through skipped dialogue, and big, thick marker pen!

you can still do this on your beloved laptop as long as it's quite a short show or a very simple one. Probably best if it's someone elses laptop actually.

(I'm now thinking of the IBM add)

T.D.

Archived