Clay Paky Goldenscan 3 Problem

dmoorcroft

Hi,

After cleaning out approx 1 kg of dust from one of our Goldenscan 3 fixtures, we've found its not working (it wasnt working before operation dust removal) The unit simply doesnt visibly power on (i.e. no fans fire up and the fixture doesnt lamp on.

However, on testing with a voltpen, all internal wires appear to be passing power through, including the lines feeding the fans - they just dont start.

Can anybody suggest what the problem could be? a dodgy transformer within the unit?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers

With that much dust inside, the fixture is probably thoroughly cooked - once the fans get jammed by dust, there will be no internal cooling, so the lamp heat won't get dissipated. First job is to replace the fans, then start working through the lamp components by substitution - new lamp, ignitor, transformer, ballast, capacitor. There will also be an overheat switch, make sure it's not melted/jammed open.

If it does nothing at all then I would suggest that the main fuse is blown or you have a faulty switch.

The high temp cut out on the Golden Scan 3 only cuts power to the lamp circuit, not the whole unit.

Volt pens are not always the best thing, get a good multimeter and check the wiring for continuity, start at the plug to the switch and so on up to the connector strip with the spade connectors on it. also check that there are no burnt spade connectors which is quite common.

You can get good wiring diagrams from Clay Paky's web site which will help you, If you can't find them pm me and I will dig some out for you.

Good luck,

Noel

The lamp cover switch has a push on connector below it and sometimes the terminals on these work loose, also the spade connectors on the red illuminated switchcan go loose over time. worth checking.

are the fans coming on?

Erm, from the OP:

However, on testing with a voltpen, all internal wires appear to be passing power through, including the lines feeding the fans - they just dont start.

In case those of you who replied regarding the fans, and voltage tracing missed it.... :rolleyes:

They just don't start" does that refer to the fans or the electronics. I read that to read the electr if the fans start but not the lamp or theelectronics we are all looking in the wrong place for the problem??

Thankyou to everyone for their advice so far.

I can confirm that no electrics visibly start when the unit is switched on, and I do have the cover switch pressed (which as far as I know only completes the ciruit for the lamp - the fans would still run)

I've traced neutral continuity across the whole circuitry and all seems fine. Today I removed the fans (after it came to me that both the fans and the lamp could have died simultaneously. Continuity across the fans was intermittent - and they had a resistnce of around 477 ohms - does anybody know if this is normal? Also, the lamp is showing signs that it may be dud - if I were to replace it, could lack of continuity across a fan stop it striking?

I'm in touch with Doug at Ambersphere (UK Clay Paky distro) who has been great at providing suggestions for the problem so far.

Really frustrating problem especially because I've repaired 4 robes over the past week and thought I was on a roll!

Captain obvious strikes again.......

Does it really need to be pointed out?

Just focus on the op's problem.

I am focussing on the OP 's problem ... and in the process trying to help them.

If people read what was posted, it might eliminate pointless posts.

Have you finished with the personal attacks, Jono?

Archived