Strand 520i not booting

timtheenchanteruk

having had a few niggles over the last few shows, it was decided to do a 220clean on our 520i.

So, we got the desk out, to back up the fixtures we had created, and some other bits and bobs, and, OH DEAR...

The desk won't boot.

No monitors, LCDs on the desk light up, but nothing else, dead...

my first thoughts are the CMOS battery, but not so sure, a pc would boot, but give you some POST beeps, we ain't even getting that.

Im going to pop it open tomorrow, give it a blow out, change the battery and check the connectors.

any one got any further suggestions?

Not sure how similar the innards are to a 300 series, but when I had an issue like that with a 300, it turned out to be the daughterboard on which the CPU is mounted. It had come slightly adrift and just needed pushing back down so it locked back in place. Apart from that, check all the connectors, PSU voltages, fuses etc.

Strand support were pretty good on the phone too so a call to them may offer other things to check.

Do the LCD'd momentarilly light up then go out, or stay on?

If they light up and go out then try the "soft start" button on the rear of the console.

If they stay on, and you're getting no POST bleep codes, then I suggest removing and reseating the processor.

K

cheers, they light up, and stay on, no beeps, the soft start button made no difference.

I'll try these suggestions tomorrow, and post back any results/progress.

no idea if the insides are the same as the 300, never been inside it yet! IIRC its a standard ATX PSU, I have a spare I can stick in it to see if it helps too.

update, removed/reseated processor, bluw loads of dust from inside, got POST, and 2 beeps, keyboard error didn't have it plugged in).

Replaced Cmos battery, changed bios settings and away she goes, now boots up nicely.

So, one last question, does anyone know what size battery is on the DMX output board, seeing as the main batt went dead, I figure that that one will be on its way out too.

update, removed/reseated processor, bluw loads of dust from inside, got POST, and 2 beeps, keyboard error didn't have it plugged in).

Replaced Cmos battery, changed bios settings and away she goes, now boots up nicely.

So, one last question, does anyone know what size battery is on the DMX output board, seeing as the main batt went dead, I figure that that one will be on its way out too.

It's the Varta Mempac 150maH 3.6v. Farnell 279-353

Dave

hi, I don't remember seeing a battery like that on any of the boards, The batt on the mainboard was a standard CMOS button cell.

The battery I was thinking of is another button cell, but slightly smaller on the front right on the board with the DMX outputs on it.

I've got a 520 CS card in front of me - that's the board in the left half of the chassis which has the DMX connectors at the back, the front panel connectors at the front and the ISA bus connection at the right . The Varta battery is at the left hand edge and backs up the show memory when the power is off.

The coin cell shaped thing at the front right corner is the serial number chip (IC44). Smaller diameter than the coin cell on the processor board but much thicker.

The battery on the processor card (right hand side of the chassis) is indeed a coin cell, which backs up the processor CMOS memory (containing stuff like boot options etc)

Dave

Archived