Vendetta Trussing - Thomann

techie.rory

Hi there,

I am looking at buying some two meter straights of truss. I have found the Vendetta range on Thomann.de and it all looks very good and fits what I'm looking for. Just wondered if anyone has had experience with it as it is not a name I have heard of before?! Also, there are no load ratings on thomann - does anybody know this or where I could find this out?

Also what bases would fit them? Global truss or...?

Basically any advice/ info on the Vendetta trussing range would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance!!

Rory B :)

What do you want to use it for?

If I was making a pretty surround for a projector screen or making a lecturn, I probably would. If you want something to hang from the roof and then put weight on, I'd be inclined to buy from a manufacturer reputed for building to a standard, not building to a price.

There is TONS of used truss on the second hand market, from hire companies. You can always buy old 12" and 20" GP, and it doesn't cost very much. For lifting purposes I'd probably be inclined to buy that.

For price comparison, 2m of 12" Vendetta quad goes at £106, whilst 2m of 12" Prolyte (H30V) goes for around £300. There is a reason it's 3 times more expensive. But like I said, if it's there to look nice rather than to lift stuff, by all means take some cheapy stuff.

What do you want to use it for?

If I was making a pretty surround for a projector screen or making a lecturn, I probably would. If you want something to hang from the roof and then put weight on, I'd be inclined to buy from a manufacturer reputed for building to a standard, not building to a price.

There is TONS of used truss on the second hand market, from hire companies. You can always buy old 12" and 20" GP, and it doesn't cost very much. For lifting purposes I'd probably be inclined to buy that.

For price comparison, 2m of 12" Vendetta quad goes at £106, whilst 2m of 12" Prolyte (H30V) goes for around £300. There is a reason it's 3 times more expensive. But like I said, if it's there to look nice rather than to lift stuff, by all means take some cheapy stuff.

Was more for weight going on it!! Glad I swerved that - brilliant thank you!

What is a middle of the range, yet reputable company you would suggest trussing from? 300 for a 2m strech although it is fantastic is well out of my price range! Anything for the top end of one hundred? Or am I well off something half decent?

The Litestructures truss that many people use for lighter loaded structures is still double the Thomann price. So I guess it depends if you can get the specs from Thomann. without them, the truss is useless as you can't make a sensible considered decision. On the other hand, if your loading will be light, then spending your money on heavier truss could be wasted money. If you have a couple of movers and a dozen PAR cans, then things might be very different?

What is a middle of the range, yet reputable company you would suggest trussing from? 300 for a 2m strech although it is fantastic is well out of my price range! Anything for the top end of one hundred? Or am I well off something half decent?

Go used.

Last year we got some old Total Fabs 12" GP for about £50 a metre, in 1m 2m and 3m lengths. Yes it's used and it will have dents and scratches, but as long as you give it a thorough inspection and it's OK, crack on. Truss is not something which goes out of date, so buying used is where I'd go.

I'd avoid the cheaper brands. Litec does not impress me at all, it seems to wear a lot quicker than the better brands.

I know that the price can seem high initially on stuff like Prolyte, but if you buy good truss once you just don't need to buy again. Most of the UK's rigging companies still use truss they bought in the 80s and 90s, it just doesn't die unless you do something really stupid with it.

Jump on Gearsource there is always a load of James Thomas truss on there, some of that will do you fine. Slick stuff tends to go for alright prices as well. Tomcat too. Have a browse, but I'd really rate buying a top brand used rather than buying a lower brand new, once you've used it 10 times it's all used anyway!

If you can wait until after that there event at Stratford there could be miles of the stuff going up for sale at reasonable prices. Keep an eye on the Curlew Marquee second hand sites, as well as the usual suspects and rigging companies, as they have trussing on there from time to time, usually at the end of summer.

the usual suspects and rigging companies, as they have trussing on there from time to time, usually at the end of summer.

I tend to find lighting suppliers turn their kit around more often so for used truss you seem to see it on lighting company used lists quite a lot.

Rigging companies tend to hold on to things forever until they physically fall apart, or just cost more to service than they can actually hire them for (and even then they'll find a use, or just rip it apart for spares). There's numerous rigging companies out there still using the old original Verlinde motors (the round ones, can't remember the model, this is all pre-Stagemaker though) for daily duties because they just won't die!

I tend to find lighting suppliers turn their kit around more often ...

Rigging companies tend to hold on to things forever ...

There's numerous rigging companies out there still using the old original Verlinde motors (the round ones, can't remember the model, this is all pre-Stagemaker though) for daily duties because they just won't die!

Those motors most definitely do die eventually. And in my experience its the exact reverse - all the 104's I encounter regularly are the property of smaller lighting companies and their number is dwindling. There are very few of them still in rigging company hire stock now. I've just been working on a job I do every year at around this time with a company who specialize in televised sport - their old Verlinde's have just been replaced with lots of shiny new direct control LoadGuards, lovely.

Last year we got some old Total Fabs 12" GP for about £50 a metre, in 1m 2m and 3m lengths.

Incidentally, I've noticed you say "we" a lot. Who is "we" in the context of this post? Are you a company now?

I Just find it interesting that this Vendetta range has copied almost everything from Global Truss. Even down to the model number of the truss!

In Global talk F32 is Flat, F33 is Tri and F34 is Box (In the 240mm c-c range)

The Vendetta stuff is 106pounds,129 Euro's (or AUD$160) for a 2m stick compared to 150pounds,182 euro's (or AUD$230) for the exact same thing but in Global Truss (Comes with a TUV Cert, Load tables etc.)

Stop complaining! Im paying AUD$550 for a 2m stick of Tri Truss! (or $650ish for a 3m) and even 2nd hand a 3m stick goes for almost $400 http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif

I'd avoid the cheaper brands. Litec does not impress me at all, it seems to wear a lot quicker than the better brands.
For the benefit of the OP I'll say I disagree. In BG's experience for truss that gets humped round on forks and piled outside over winter then Litec may well get trashed quicker than much heavier truss - that's not really much of a surprise is it? But given we don't know whether the OP wants it to hang out of sight as a spreader truss, or as something rather more attractive, but to be able to carry more than a family of mice, then Litec/Milos rather fit the bill better than used and battered to ###### (at least visually) truss that's not been treated that great. In my experience all of our Litec has been going for years and is nice, presentable, and standing up very well, though 'we' are a lighting production company so we do treat it somewhat better than an out and out rigging company. I would say the same of those I work with who have a large stock of Litec and Milos which they are very much happy with.

BG did ask right at the start, but the OPs answer wasn't the most conclusive, so till we know I think it would be foolish for the OP to discount what they may find to be the appropriate solution.

I tend to find lighting suppliers turn their kit around more often ...

Rigging companies tend to hold on to things forever ...

There's numerous rigging companies out there still using the old original Verlinde motors (the round ones, can't remember the model, this is all pre-Stagemaker though) for daily duties because they just won't die!

Those motors most definitely do die eventually. And in my experience its the exact reverse - all the 104's I encounter regularly are the property of smaller lighting companies and their number is dwindling. There are very few of them still in rigging company hire stock now. I've just been working on a job I do every year at around this time with a company who specialize in televised sport - their old Verlinde's have just been replaced with lots of shiny new direct control LoadGuards, lovely.

I know of at least one major rigging company who still have heaps of the Verlindes and they still get used all the time. Unfortunately yes they do die eventually, and more unfortunately in their later years they seem to suffer more regular faults. I used to work in a venue that almost exclusively used Verlindes (you could pay extra for Liftkets or Lodestars but nobody did) and it was just a given that they'd jam a few times in the time it took to lift the truss to trim.

But largely I don't disagree, yes there's a lot of smaller lighting companies buying up Verlindes (thinking oooh that's a good price for 4 motors) and I do tend to tell people not to. The Loadguards are a very good and very well priced package, I don't know if it's still going but they were offering 4 DC 500kg motors, 4ch control, 4x 20m distro, 4 gacflex, 4 bow shax, 2 twin flightcases, a year's servicing and 2 places on motor school; for 5 grand. Which is a jolly good bargain! The prices beyond that also are very very good, they are what I would buy if I was in the market for motors. I think the Verlindes that are left should probably just be left to spend their final years in their boxes.

Last year we got some old Total Fabs 12" GP for about £50 a metre' date=' in 1m 2m and 3m lengths.[/quote']

Incidentally, I've noticed you say "we" a lot. Who is "we" in the context of this post? Are you a company now?

Yes sorry, I have been with a smaller company where I hold a 'higher' role if you like, so when I say "I" it's me in the freelance sense or just my personal view, "we" is said small company.

The manufacturers site http://vendettatruss.de/

Perhaps email them, they seem a relatively new company and TUV (or similar) certification could be on its way.

Or it could just be something that they are importing on the cheap from China. In which case, avoid.

The fact that they say "This is the complete VENDETTA TRUSS range - we do not offer any custom build truss as well as special pieces" suggests to me that they don't actually make their truss and it's just some generic chinese junk being imported and branded as Vendetta. If they were actually a small fabrications company they could make what they wanted.

Also if they were a new small fabrications company they would not be able to afford to sell at those prices.

I think it's likely to be cheap stuff from China... especially when you consider that Prolyte or Total Fabs XO is about 3 times the price.

Mumbles - I did say "what do you want to use it for". And maintain that it's worth buying good truss from the off. Prolyte H30 looks really nice, but you buy some of that now and you'll still be using it for heavy lifting in 10 years, it's just properly made.

OP - If you want new, I'd give Arcofab a call in Canada. The cost of welders out there is a lot less than here, and they offer very competitive pricing on brand new truss, and even including delivery from Canada the pricing can be more efficient than buying the common brands here. I know one of their sales reps and would happily put you in contact, he used to be Head of Rigging at one of the UK's bigger rigging companies so you can be sure he's not selling junk. I did also forget to mention, you didn't say if you're after square or triangle truss? If the latter... there is tons of used Slick Litebeam out there and it tends to be uber cheap.

I'm pretty certain it is Chinese. The website is a bit hopeless but not the comment that this is the complete range and we do not do custom pieces - so just an importer.

Since china buy up most of our steel and ali scrap which is then exported to them, if the products are able to be certified, then they could be as good. Chinese product quality is determined by price and demand - so if Thomann are selling the stuff, then the liability is theirs too - so would they sell untested product within the EU? No doubt test results will appear soon. Even CPC are selling Global truss now.

Archived