First time designing show

eatthis9999

Nicely drawn plan...

Personally I would put the Patt 137's in a cupboard and leave them there, and as Max says move that back selecon flood further forward - but floods are a very flat and boring way of lighting people so I would avoid using them if at all possible. You may wish to have them up there in case of emergency.

Also think in terms of different lighting angles, low side light is good for dance but can be impractical to set up. Par cans on the floor uplighting singers work well. Some LED pars up those nice brick proscenium walls would look lovely.

It would be a good idea to mark on your plan areas where you expect things to happen, then you can make sure you have lighting to cover it.

thanks for the suggestions, I had to use 2 137's as only have 6 selcons as our others are installed in the schools drama studio, also I had intended to light the walls with the braced pars as we have no other use where as LED's look good in dancing also do you think that a cold and warm color swapping around eg Red/Blue rather then other colours ?

More backlight! No, seriously, you can never have too much backlight. If your LED floods on LX5 are being used to wash the cyc, you are seriously lack in the backlight department from what I can see. Floods are an impractical choice of lantern for the vast majority of things, however if you have an abundance of them and a lack of other instruments, I'd be very tempted to use them to give you a nice even wash from a backlight position, in a variety of colours.

As to colour choice, I'd avoid 'blue and red' - red is very primary, 'in your face', and not very flexible. If you only have a choice of two colours to play with (ideally from behind, because saturated colours and faces don't usually ever mix well), I'd be tempted to go with a saturated blue and some form of purple or magenta (L713 and L797 are current favourites of mine, although 713 is a bit too saturated for anything less than a PAR64 or 2k fresnel)

Also, disappear the 137s. They'll be about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

More backlight! No, seriously, you can never have too much backlight. If your LED floods on LX5 are being used to wash the cyc, you are seriously lack in the backlight department from what I can see. Floods are an impractical choice of lantern for the vast majority of things, however if you have an abundance of them and a lack of other instruments, I'd be very tempted to use them to give you a nice even wash from a backlight position, in a variety of colours.

As to colour choice, I'd avoid 'blue and red' - red is very primary, 'in your face', and not very flexible. If you only have a choice of two colours to play with (ideally from behind, because saturated colours and faces don't usually ever mix well), I'd be tempted to go with a saturated blue and some form of purple or magenta (L713 and L797 are current favourites of mine, although 713 is a bit too saturated for anything less than a PAR64 or 2k fresnel)

Also, disappear the 137s. They'll be about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

yer the problem with the 137's is we only have 6 selcons so by effect have to use 137's, and for back light probably best to shift some par 56 there since I have 2 spare or some 123's as they give a nice spread rather then large beam shape, also the 3 LED par 64's are back light so probably aim for 7-9 back lights ?

For what it's worth, the Patt 123 had one of the nicest soft edges of any of the Fresnels of that size - and for small stages and short throws, they blend very well. The Patt 23 only really suffers from the fact that it's a single beam angle - as most equipment used to be (and of course many still are). Zoom optics are really useful, but again, the 23 is still a useful bit of kit. Only this week I needed of all things, a light to focus on an ice cream fridge in the auditorium, and the only place was the very end of the FOH truss - far too small a spot for the usual profiles we have, but after blowing out the dust, a 23 just fitted nicely on the end, and does the job fine. Some of this stuff, while ancient in electrical terms, can be still very effective - BUT make sure somebody has tested them recently and they're in good nick. Old abused ones can be not the safest things in the world.

For what it's worth, the Patt 123 had one of the nicest soft edges of any of the Fresnels of that size - and for small stages and short throws, they blend very well. The Patt 23 only really suffers from the fact that it's a single beam angle - as most equipment used to be (and of course many still are). Zoom optics are really useful, but again, the 23 is still a useful bit of kit. Only this week I needed of all things, a light to focus on an ice cream fridge in the auditorium, and the only place was the very end of the FOH truss - far too small a spot for the usual profiles we have, but after blowing out the dust, a 23 just fitted nicely on the end, and does the job fine. Some of this stuff, while ancient in electrical terms, can be still very effective - BUT make sure somebody has tested them recently and they're in good nick. Old abused ones can be not the safest things in the world.

I have a genuine love for 123's as they look so retro in use and looks, they all get pat tested yearly so should be safe, I'm currently making v2 design so suggestions when thats up in 1 hour = good :)

Here is a revised version of my rig plan which uses 21 of 22 channels I have access to

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/6862/lightingdesign2.png

Archived