First time designing show

eatthis9999

Hi I'm being given the task of basically with the help of our designer who is leaving this summer, to create the lighting design and sound system, we have 4 dimmers with twin linking lights so 48 patch points forming 24 channels and a midi dimmer. The show is a range of classical to rock music, solo singing, instrumental and live bands, with other things such as comedy sketches, dancing and a fashion show. so need a creative multi purpose rig and sound system fit for this.

The kit at my disposal is

LX:

6X selcon floods

6X frenels

6X profiles

2X starletts

6X LED Flood

11X LED PAR56

13X patt 137 floods

7X patt 123

8X par 56

2X par 64

2X uv strips

2X pinspotf

4X braced par64

1X superspot

3X Pat 23

2X house floods

Audio Stock:

Microphones:

2X DI

5X sm58 (Or Similar)

2X rode nt5

2X shure handhelds

2X senhiser wearable

2X jts wearable

1X jts handheld

2X behringer b-5

2X shure ezb /c

2X c1000 s

3X c3000 b

Speakers:

2X Carlsbro Tops

2X Calrsbro Bass

3X Powered Monitors

3X Unpowered Monitors

2X Small Powered Studio Spares

2X Large Powered Studio Spares

2X Small Unpowered Studio Spares

1X 2500W Amp

1X 1500W Amp

Welcome to the Blue Room! I'm afraid that without knowing your venue and its details, we're unlikely to be of much help at all. You have what appears to be a reasonable amount of kit to use, but if you are attempting to light an arena, it won't be enough - but if you're lighting a small to medium-sized theatre space, it will be fine. More info will allow us to help you better!

That's nice. Did you have a question?

The point I'm trying to make is that most of us here would rather you go away, have a bash and come back with specific questions about a certain effect or technique.

If you are after a howto, then here's my first pointer.

Go and look at as many photos and videos of similar events as you can find. Critique the lighting, what do you like and what don't you like?

My second pointer is to think about the practicalities, who needs lighting where and when.

I'll stop there for now...

What he said ^.

If somebody said "you can design this show" I think they meant "you can design this show", not "put the spec on the web and see if somebody else will do it for free".

If you don't feel ready to design a show from scratch, maybe you need to tell the old designer this and he can find somebody else. Or you could get your creative hat on and give it a crack...

Ok the buildings specifications are

POWER:

Max 230A, 200A LX - 30ASND

52 Circuit system

BARS: Doughty

Front of house: 10m length at 5.25m height

Max weight 390KG (39 per M)

STAGE: 6m length at 3.5m height

Max weight 234KG

Stage specs:

Main 9MX5M at elevation of aprox 0.9M

additional extension of 8MX2M at aprox elevation of 0.9M

Venue-

Capacity:320 +/- 20

20MX11M Ignoring Stage

Height 5.5M

I have got ideas for lighting design so not a serious issue but have no experience with how the PATT equipment behaves in comparison to the new kit, but in the sound field I have very little experience so am very conscious of breaking things, the other problem is unlike with him I legally cant rig so need to nail it first time

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/2109/standardrig.jpg

I have got ideas for lighting design so not a serious issue but have no experience with how the PATT equipment behaves in comparison to the new kit

An older fresnel gives you the same quality of light as a newer fresnel. An older profile gives you the same quality of light as a newer profile. Get where I'm going with this...? Why don't you go and put your ideas to paper, and come back with something that we can actually make suggestions based on? Unless of course you want people on here to actually design the rig for you, in which case I suggest you get your chequebook out.

Moderation: It has been noticed lately that we can be very quick to jump on new posters and sometimes be quite critical. If we could all please make an effort to be a little more gentle in posting style that would be good....thanks.

My suggestions would be that if you can, you should get into the space and have a good experiment with the gear before you have to do the design. That way you can work out how your lights stack up against each other (eg Patt vs newer), because there will be differences in beam size and brightness, and can figure out what is likely to work best for different purposes. Then, if you come back here with some ideas, we can put in helpful suggestions based on your own ideas.

In sound terms, you haven't listed what the mixing desk is - which will help with how you can best use the gear. The only way you'll do any real damage is if you plug a powered speaker into an amp. Otherwise, just remember the signal chain (input-->desk--->amp--->speakers, generally) and you should be OK.

Watch some rehearsals.

work out where people are so you can make sure they are light.

Work out where these lanterns need to be put (stand at each place, work out about 45 degrees in front of you, use nearest bar) and what lanterns they need to be (generally fresnels for washes that can be slightly focused)

Work out if you need any spot lights/other things lit (a sign USR, an entrance from the audience aisle) and work out where they need to go.

If you have any spare channels/sockets/lanterns you an use, add some back light/colour/more even wash until you a) have used all your channels or b) have used all you need (b is better!!)

draw them out on your rig plan, and then get them rigged, with the gels in if needed, and DMX cable for any LED/intelligent lighting.

Work out your patch plan - socket 32 channel 7, socket 48, channel 8 etc and soft/hard patch them in.

ta dah!!

Next Gen member stepping in here.

Talk to the old designer and see if there is a 'house rig' you can base your design off. If there is then all you really need to worry about is specials. Equally maybe ask to look at some of their old designs, to see if you can pick up anything from them as to what will work.

As for your sound, try and get another couple of students involved if possible, you haven't mentioned anyone else helping so I can only presume you're planning to run everything by yourself.

Only real tips I give from the spec you've given is 1) use the LED's for effects rather than acting light, Some people will probably disagree with that, but each to their own. And remember they plug into the mains, not into dimmers.

2) Deal with washes and face light first, then see how many channels you've got left, and add in any specials you want. And dont overload your dimmers! General rule being no more than two lanterns per channel, that keeps things simple. So seeing as your channels are paired anyway, dont plug more than one lantern into each socket.

yer the main problem I have is the rehearsals are the day before or the day of the show so the design is guess work before programming, on the other students point, we have a large crew but the designs have been left to me in preperation for next year, the main problem we have is our standard rig is for speeches as very light and not suitable, but also the old rig plans are very show specific and very un compatible, I have made rig plan 1 so will upload in a sec. This is the venue pics current rig

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/6547/stage11.jpg

That seems quite a good design (much better than something I would produce!)!

My only point is that you may want to consider moving the two LED P56's on LX 3 offstage slightly (i.e. move them out a bit), then move the two Selecon Floods out a bit too, and put a third Selecon Flood (from LX 5) in the centre of LX 3.... I think that might give you a bit more useful top/front light, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!

I would also consider on LX 2, moving the fresnels further out - possibly swapping them with the pinspots? Just to give you a bit more of a spread, as I'm assuming they're there for picking up the faces...

I personally think it's very good for a first design! Wish my school theatre had a rig as durable as this.... http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

That seems quite a good design (much better than something I would produce!)!

My only point is that you may want to consider moving the two LED P56's on LX 3 offstage slightly (i.e. move them out a bit), then move the two Selecon Floods out a bit too, and put a third Selecon Flood (from LX 5) in the centre of LX 3.... I think that might give you a bit more useful top/front light, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!

I would also consider on LX 2, moving the fresnels further out - possibly swapping them with the pinspots? Just to give you a bit more of a spread, as I'm assuming they're there for picking up the faces...

I personally think it's very good for a first design! Wish my school theatre had a rig as durable as this.... http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

thanks for the advice :),

yer I can see what your saying especially of lx2 as the pinspots will give better reflections off the mirror balls that way as well as better lighting from fresnels. will move the lx5 selcon too the centre of lx2 and then angle the 2 on the sides of it and then probably gel center one with a warm gel and outsides with a colder gel

Nicely drawn plan...

Personally I would put the Patt 137's in a cupboard and leave them there, and as Max says move that back selecon flood further forward - but floods are a very flat and boring way of lighting people so I would avoid using them if at all possible. You may wish to have them up there in case of emergency.

Also think in terms of different lighting angles, low side light is good for dance but can be impractical to set up. Par cans on the floor uplighting singers work well. Some LED pars up those nice brick proscenium walls would look lovely.

It would be a good idea to mark on your plan areas where you expect things to happen, then you can make sure you have lighting to cover it.

Archived