Live video to projector screen

jonathan859

This isn't for any particular event; if was just thinking about it for future shows. I'd like to know what you think would be the best way to achieve live video on the screen from one or more cameras. It was done at a talent show several years ago but everyone involved has since left the school and equipment used was either hired or owned by students.

Our hall is semi-circular with a raised stage, floor then tied seating. I'm not describing it very well so here's a diagram:

http://dc539.4shared.com/img/J3Va8YjB/0.6351373138325059/Stage.png

The IMEX box which is backstage connects with vga, rca, or s-video to the projector which is ceiling mounted, focussed on the back wall of the stage. The cameras would be positioned around the edge of the floor area.

What method/equipment would you recommend for setting up a video control system?

Personally I would set up a video mixing desk side of stage with depending on what you get built in previews/multi previews on 1 screen and run TX to the imex box, simple cable runs, small space.

Alternative would be to loom the cams back to your mix position and then send back to the imex (assuming you are not up for fiddling with the projection)

... to expand on that, beg/borrow some camcorders with composite video out (yellow RCA plug). Locate your cameras at the edge of the action area. Run long BNC cables from the cameras to a vision mixer side stage (something like a Panasonic MX50 is fairly cheap to hire these days being a bit on the old side - that can do 4 cameras). Then run composite out of the mixer to the yellow RCA connector on your projector box.

The kid is right to keep your vision mixer as close to the cameras as possible to save complicated cable runs.

Keep all your shots as tight closeups, wide shots are pointless because you're just showing the audience what they can already see.

If you can get the cameras all the same brand (eg all Sony), this will help match the pictures.

You really need some sort of comms as well so the vision mixer person can tell the cameras what to do. If the camera ops can see the screen you can get away without this as they will know when they are "live".

This is the most basic way to do it... you can get a lot more complicated.

Keep all your shots as tight closeups, wide shots are pointless because you're just showing the audience what they can already see.

This is the greatest bit of advice on here for ages. I vision mix for big screens all the time and at the start of each show, almost withour fail, even with a camera crew I've worked with a hundred times before I will repeat the mantra "make things bigger, we are not making a TV programme."

Wide shots of a stage on a big screen smaller than the stage are utterly pointless.

Cheers,

Peter

• 1 month later...

tight closeups,

make things bigger

:)

Wide shots are for context, the audience for IMAG doesn't need to see the context, they are the context!

(the occasional wide can be used as a way to keep things fresh, but remember the purpose of what your doing)

Archived