Forklift/cherrypickers

tour monkey

Does anybody have any information on forklift and/or cherrypicker licensing. I know you have to have a licence to operate them, but my question to you is who, where and when?! I've done a small amount of research on the net without much joy. The other thing is that I'm 17, is it like 7.5 tonne trucks where you now have to be 18 or even 21?

Any info would be of help!!

Munky

Cherry Pickers: do an IPAF (Industrial Powered Access Federation) PAL (Powered Access License) licence. I got my for £150ex VAT for both SPL (Self propelled boom) and Scissor Lifts in one day. These are recognised right accross most industries such as construction and the production industry.

As for the fork lifts. Depends where your working and the type of machine. I've got a National Test and Proficiency Council (NTPC) ticket designed for farmers. I'd now go for something recognised by CITB. If it's festival type events then it's likely to be a Telehandler or All Terrain Masted type machine. Couldn't comment on the cost, as I did mine on return for 2 weeks work for a fencing contractor.

As for your age? It might well be a barrier. Assuming you hold a driving licence, it might be easier. I'd get in touch with on or two trainers and see what they say.

Little DJ

With regards to CITB (which is one of the boards recognised by construction companies), you get an operator log book, and a credit card style license which lists the equipment you're licensed to use. The industry wide recognition means you should in theory be able to turn up on any site and drive their equipment. You're required to keep a log of each time you use the equipment to ensure you're doing 'enough' hours each year in order to requalify (I think).

However, you need to be 21 to register on the scheme, which is a pain. When I was 20, I took the same course and test as everyone over 21 in the company, but ended up with an 'in house' certificate awarded by the training company. This meant I could drive the forklift around the company property, but not anywhere else. That's the theory, anyway. I know more riggers that use cherry pickers/forklifts etc without licenses than those that possess them.

Hope that helps, might be worth doing a Google search on CITB to check I've got the facts straight.

Phil

It also depends what your doing too. If you spend most of your time rigging and events inside venues, then I'd go and get a cherry picker ticket. Since doing my Telehandler ticket in 2002, I've driven them about 5-10 times. Since doing my picker ticket in may/june time I've spent a lot of days on gigs where I've been booked because I have the ticket. Indeed today was spent in a scissor lift installing a 100v Line system.

As mentioned above IPAF for cherry pickers, I did my course with Nationwide Access.

My forklift licence is for a rough terrain telehandler, unlike MEWP you need a separate licence for each type. My licence is issued by RTITB and I did the training at Apex Training Centre, but they're only based in Peterborough. I'm sure you can probably find some where a bit closer to you.

Archived