Avo Pearl

fireball40k

<br />I think that it would be interesting to read somebodies opinion on the ago simulator v magicq running on a pc - no real faders or cleverness - and see which they like.

Nice idea and definitely a valuable point, but I'm not sure it carries. The avo simulator is a useful and helpful utility that allows simulated use of a piece of hardware, using only a computer. MagicQ is actually a purpose made piece of software to run as a standalone lighting system or as part of a hardware/software package. Thus, it's got hundreds more computer based options which the avo doesn't have, simply because the avo is just designed for helping you program shows or practice yur skills without the need for speed.

The avo sim is really just a graphic interface for the real thing , the magicq sim is actully fully functioning standalone software, not really comparable. That is why I mentioned prices, the amount of used pearl you get for the price of new magicq (not much used magicq about) means yo probably get more value for money on avo products. But in terms o like for like functionality between an avo and a similar spec Chamsys, I'm well into the latter.

One key point that has been missed is "which pearl and which magicq"

Really? I thought that had been mentioned in several of the posts.

In terms of something that offers some degree of future proofing, then Avo Titan & MagicQ both offer a range of solutions to suit a an equal range of budgets. Of course there are other brands with capable solutions too so keep an open mind.

To the op, if you have been offered a used classic Pearl Tiger then it is probably at a price which does not compare to anything from Avo TItan or MagicQ complete with a busk friendly hardware interface but in my personal opinion it would be a poor choice. I have to use the little Tiger a lot and always find I miss the control surface of the classic Pearl too much. (the Tiger is by no means a bad desk, but is frustrating to use when you are used to the full size version) If it was me I would hunt down a 2004-2008 Pearl rather than the TIger, there should be a chance of finding one for similar money. This is a good choice if busking is more important than theatre use.

I'm sure you will be offered plenty of opinions here, as some have already said; trying before you buy is always a good idea. A good way to try (and base the experience on a more level field) is try the desks via training days; you get to use the desks as intended and you learn much more about each system than you would briefly playing with it on your own.

Good luck with your search, and remember it is much about your comfort and familiarity as it is about the features; not much use the desk being able to do everything if you don't know how to make it work. (I love MagicQ but I don't think I will ever learn all the features!)

Any claim that a "classic pearl should be avoided like the plague" is complete verbal diahorrea. If you're getting clunky performance it's probably a clunky operator. It was the driving force behind every club touring rock n roll gig for nearly 10 years

That's some pretty idiotic misquoting there, you might want to go back and actually read what I said. I said that if the OP intends on making use of the theatre stack a classic Pearl is best avoided like the plague. I don't recall arguing that they're a poor choice for touring RnR, or for busking in general. How many touring rock gigs do you know which have made use of a Pearl in theatre stack mode though?

Having had a Pearl crash while using the theatre stack at a critical point of a show gives me good reason not to extol their virtues. Of course, maybe it was my clunky operating which caused it to entirely stop responding...?

:unsure:

Of course, maybe it was my clunky operating which caused it to entirely stop responding...?

Oh thank god, I thought it was just me what was clunky. http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif

Any claim that a "classic pearl should be avoided like the plague" is complete verbal diahorrea. If you're getting clunky performance it's probably a clunky operator. It was the driving force behind every club touring rock n roll gig for nearly 10 years

That's some pretty idiotic misquoting there, you might want to go back and actually read what I said. I said that if the OP intends on making use of the theatre stack a classic Pearl is best avoided like the plague. I don't recall arguing that they're a poor choice for touring RnR, or for busking in general. How many touring rock gigs do you know which have made use of a Pearl in theatre stack mode though?

Having had a Pearl crash while using the theatre stack at a critical point of a show gives me good reason not to extol their virtues. Of course, maybe it was my clunky operating which caused it to entirely stop responding...?

My apologies I misread your post. Yes the theatre stacks on old Pearls are a feature for the sake of having it, they don't really work.

My only recommendation - aside from the obvious bias that I work for the company - would be to invest in a Titan console rather than a Classic one, as it's a lot more future proof. Comparing the MQ cue stack to the Classic Theatre Stack is like comparing an iPad to Windows 98 - one was developed 10+ years ago and is to be fair, still a very common console in live events, whilst the other is a PC based system from a lot more recently. No, I would not recommend anyone try theatre stack if they want an easy life, far more have a go on a Titan Mobile. This was developed especially for PC based use, so the interface has been designed around that, and the cue stacking function was completely rewritten for Titan. The price point for a Titan Mobile should be less than half of a new Tiger, so if you're looking at a used one, should be around the same price.

If you want to have a play and see if you like, you can either download our offline editor, or borrow a Mobile off us for a week - drop me an email and I'll arrange it for you.

Archived