Keyboard combo

bruce

Not strictly the sort of stuff we cover, but close enough :)

I'm looking for recommendations for a keyboard combo amp. Reasonably compact and light, decent quality, at least 3 inputs. Probably a 12" rather than a 15". Doesn't have to be mega-loud. Preferably something that doesn't hiss like a bag of snakes.

First thought was one of the Roland KC range, but that's a little out of budget - the person buying it is looking to spend less than 200, ideally nearer 150.

Thomann have a t-amp unit (on castors - looks a bit quaint) and various Behringer units.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tamp_pa4080kb.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/cat.html?gf=keyboard_amps&oa=pra

Does anyone have any real-world experience of these, or have any recommendations for other kit?

We have a little behringer multi input amp, which I can't fault for the money. It's light enough, sounds reasonable, doesn't seem to be full of snakes or meditating monks, and is very flexible.

I don't think the same model is still on sale, but the K1800FX seems pretty similar.

might not be quite what you want cos one of the I/P is an ipod dock, however

it has line in, mic/guitar in, and has a battery and sounds nice, I have two of them.

google the ion blockrocker ... retails at around £150 in the uk

and a small sub mix to the line in would expand its use considerably

(unless you want stereo)

The block rocker (and the other four or five identical products) are NOT a keyboard amp. They're a portable small PA. Ok-ish sound quality. They're not that loud, and rattle like crazy with bass notes, in the same way Roland keyboard amps don't. Proper keyboard amps have wide frequency response, often extra thick cabinets so they don't rattle and an eq that works well for keys - which needs tuning to work well. These portables are great for buskers and people who need battery power, but sonically, they're a bit lightweight!

I built a keyboard cab, and used for guitar and even bass it worked - but a strong left hand on the piano produced all sorts of strange resonances and buzzes. Despite extra bracing, I concluded in the end, the cabinet was just not stiff enough.

slightly off topic and probably not helpful but I will share, just in case - one particular band I engineer for have a keyboard player with a hammond organ (the new flat type not the old upright) and a roland (I think) piano/synthesizer. I take stereo lines out to the desk for FOH and he takes seperate mono lines to a little behringer mixer and then on to a single active studio monitor (behringer 6"/8" TRUTH monitor I think but haven't looked closely) - the monitor seems to give him all the side fill he and the drummer need on stage (bars/clubs/small festivals etc) I don't wander around stage when they are playing too much as I'm usually out front but I have heard it and it seems to give a good frequency response, doesn't rattle etc. maybe a little thin at the bottom end but not much.

] just thought I would pass that along in case it's of the slightest use.

Archived