Teaching technical theater/stage craft

godd2

Hello, I realize this is a UK site so our american schools may not be the same idea but I am hoping you all have some ideas. I am a teacher at a high school. I am a little weird in that I have a chemistry endorsement and also a theater endorsement. I was trained as a lighting design major for 3 years before going into education. since going into teaching I have been a chemistry teacher for 13 years. At my current school though, I am the lighting and sound "guy" for all productions and I have one lighting/sound slave labor class. the teacher who has been here part time for 20 years that builds sets and teaches the stagecraft side is retiring. so because of budget issues and things, I may need to go 1/2 time theater and 1/2 time chemistry and teach these stagecraft classes. I have experience building and designing sets from college. where I am really, really weak is the painting and costuming.

I realize "get a book" is part of this learning for me, but I am wondering if anyone knows of any resources online where there would be activities, powerpoints, lessons, etc that I could use or adapt to work. Tutorials on how to do different stage painting techniques, things like that. it should be said the the quality of most of the students in these classes are not the best. it is a dumping ground really for the unmotivated to put it nicely.

anyway,

thank you for your help

garry

Archived