Dimming A Follow Spot

The Phantom

Hi folks

A little advice needed please. I have a followspot which uses a 240v 1000w with GX9.5 base. I was wondering would it be practical to dim this or would it cause issues with the internal fan and bulb? I'm not sure of the make of this item but is currently under investigation.

Regards

A little advice needed please. I have a followspot which uses a 240v 1000w with GX9.5 base. I was wondering would it be practical to dim this or would it cause issues with the internal fan and bulb? I'm not sure of the make of this item but is currently under investigation.

If it's a normal tungsten halogen bulb (and with that base I can't think of one that wouldn't be) then that will dim ok - are you sure the fixture has a fan, though?

From experience you should be fine- we used to do this with Selecon Performer Quartz followspots, which are 2500w.

That said, I wouldn't recommend *leaving* it dimmed to say, 50%, but if it's a fade in and a fade out at the top and tail of the cue, should be fine.

David

Edit: The other option of course if you own the spot, is to have someone competent wire a seperate mains feed in for the fan, so you can dim just the lamp as if it were a normal theatrical lamp, and the fan is constantly on.

Just for clarity

From experience you should be fine- we used to do this with Selecon Performer Quartz followspots, which are 2500w.

The Selecon Performer Quartz followspots have a fan in them. Although quite old now, these limes are frequenctly seen in the New Zeland theatre scene, and I've never seen one switched, always dimmed.

We'd also want a picture of the nameplate label (or its remains) to stand much chance of being able to identify it properly.

- Even if it's a bit scuffed so hard to read, there must be a label somewhere that used to clearly say what it is and someone might recognise it from the legible parts.

That said, if the fan is a direct-on-mains Universal motor type (with no internal electronics at all), then it'll probably be fine on SCR dimming.

A lot of dimmable blowers are that kind of motor, and most mirrorball rotators are as well - while the rotators often won't dim, they aren't damaged either.

We have an ancient Coemar Pilota which has been wired (rewired certainly) with a 3phase plug and socket arrangement so that the "undimmed" power arrives via one pin and the dimmed power on another pin from a single channel fader (pro' yet an inescapably homebrew looking job) bolted to the yoke.

Uses 32A cee connectors (red plastic for those not au fait with such kit) and, seeing as they are the only 32s on site, reasonably safe from someone doing something silly...and they only get shared to our sister companies.

(It must be said that the 2kW lamp really does need a fan. Nice to work with on a cold evening but a total sauna if we get a hot Cornish evening. The exhaust gets blown vertically up and the downside is the canopy over has been known to get almost too hot to touch. I wonder if we have that covered in the RA?)

Assuming that the fan and lamp are powered from the same single phase supply going into the dimmer, that ceeform connector should be blue. The colour isn't down to the number of phases (and thus pins) but to the voltage.

Archived