Wireless Cans

I honestly don't think you'd find anything other than very basic radio systems (the ones I first used were mainly for motorcyclists I believe).

I have used the Canford DECT system and it's the only thing I've found that makes wireless comms worthwhile, full duplex and clear as a bell. The walkie talkie tecpro interface is unreliable in my experience.

The chances of finding anyone with 8 dect systems is extremely slim, as they cost over £1000 a go. Basic walkie-talkies with earphones is probably your best bet for your budget.

The chances of finding anyone with 8 dect systems is extremely slim, as they cost over £1000 a go. Basic walkie-talkies with earphones is probably your best bet for your budget.

Indeed, to get full duplex comms it seems you have to spend around £1500 for a base station and then about £500 on the beltpacks. Orbital sound do a couple of good systems but I suspect that these are much too expensive. As others have said, 2-way radios and an interface seems the best way to go for you.

Why not do a half way house. I've noticed london underground use trantec lav packs with a ptt for their announcements. the standard packs are quite cheap. give everyone a receiver fed from an in ear tx, and then another receiver feeds whatever comes in from the ptt fitted tx's. Semi-duplex, and reliable as long as two people don't transmit at the same time.

comments?

Why not do a half way house. I've noticed london underground use trantec lav packs with a ptt for their announcements. the standard packs are quite cheap. give everyone a receiver fed from an in ear tx, and then another receiver feeds whatever comes in from the ptt fitted tx's. Semi-duplex, and reliable as long as two people don't transmit at the same time.

comments?

This is exactly what a friend has arranged for a amateur society I'm involved with. Works wonderfully.

When I have used wireless cans in the past they have been of the tecpro kind. A bas station plugs into the cans network the same way a usual unit would plug in, it might have had an extra psu though. The mobile unit then works with the same functionality of a wired unit and clips onto your belt.

I have no idea of cost as it was all hired, and I was just a lowly stage hand and rigger.

comments?

Sounds a good idea but people like to talk as you do on cans... so would be transmitting at the same time as you do when you talk with five people talking. Personally the wired proper cans system there is fine but they are keen on a wireless system but if it is going to be like £6000 for a decent system I think it is not viable option.

Maybe they have the budget to convert the cans which really need to be wireless and use half wired maybe using a tecpro system J Pearce talks of. It is actually really only the assistant stage manager who needs wireless cans and there is no way the props or stage manager need cans. Sound and the lighting techs don’t move at all during the show so what is the point of a wireless system for us. :P

Anyone got some links to some reasonably priced tecpro base station a belt pack units?

Thanks guys,

Sounds a good idea but people like to talk as you do on cans... so would be transmitting at the same time as you do when you talk with five people talking.  <snip>

Comms chatter should be kept to an absolute minimum during the show, with only 100% neccesary information being relayed, not comments on how hot the dancers are or how cr*p the guitarist is. This, in my opinion, is nothing more than professionalism, and should be practiced as much as possible.

Maybe they have the budget to convert the cans which really need to be wireless and use half wired maybe using a tecpro system J Pearce talks of. It is actually really only the assistant stage manager who needs wireless cans and there is no way the props or stage manager need cans. Sound and the lighting techs don’t move at all during the show so what is the point of a wireless system for us.

That to me sounds like a slightly more viable option. Certainly the LX and sound op, who are ususally sitting right next to each other...

Just my 2 cents..

David

We give radios to the radio mic op, (when you're on a budget there can be a lot of changes!) and the SM.

The rest are on wired units.

Are these wireless cans or just radios and if so what use is the SM and the radio mic op talking to each other... or can everyone on cans here them and they can hear the wired cans and if so and you did this with radios how did you do it?

Thanks,

We give radios to the radio mic op, (when you're on a budget there can be a lot of changes!) and the SM.

The rest are on wired units.

Here in the US regulation of radio frequencies is a little less strict, so there may be more options available. A commercial theatre production (Broadway) would probably have 3 wireless comm base stations in addition to the wired comms. There would be a single channel system like the HME System 800 for the ASMs which would have the production cueing channel only. The PSM (DSM?) might use one of the SM wireless headsets when they are running rehearsals during a long run. There would be a 2 channel system like the Telex BTR800 for sound, so that the deck men can listen to the cueing channel, and also listen and talk to a sound iso channel. There would be a similar 2 channel system for the carpenters so the head carp can listen to cueing while onstage watching scenic moves, and talking to the carp iso channel. Lighting would be all wired. The PSM might be calling the show on departmental channels, so the iso channels would be a second channel for each department.

Mac

Archived