Long Cable runs for 720p DVI

citikid

Greetings,

Can anyone give some advice on the best way to send a relatively long (20-30 meters) HD video signal to a projector?

I'd like to keep it DVI directly from a Mac. The projector is sort of old, about 6 years. But it does have DVI input.

We've been using s-video from the booth up until now but I need too start sending 720p from the computer.

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick reply! It's going to be permanent.

with my very limited cursory research it looks like fibre is like 10x the price of everything else, is that right?

I'd like to keep it under 1k price wise. I guess I'm trying to learn about the different flavors of ethernet vs a DVI "repeater" vs analog conversion.

appreciate the input.

Fibre certainly isn't 10x the cost of other solutions.

Decent Cat6/7 cable is quite pricey where as fibre patch cables are quite cheap (around $1/meter) - the conversion boxes are around the same cost.

Fibre is better quality, avoids any possibility of ground loops and can cope with whatever format of signal you want to upgrade to in the future (4k? no problem!) Oh and fibre can run for kilometers where as cat6/7 is seriously limited in length.

Kramer, Extron, Gefen and Blackmagic all offer affordable fibre options.

• 2 weeks later...

Get a cheap converter to HDMI which is only a physical converter and use an HDMI amplifier which are also relatively cheap. Whole lot should cost less than £50

And it will be as unreliable and troublesome as youd expect from a solution that adds a whole load of new lo budget points of failure...

720p isnt actualy that high a resolution , have you considered using a simple copper dvi cable? If you buy the right cable, you should be fine. We regularly send 1080p over Kramer 65' dual link Dvi cables without issue, im sure you could get away with longer at 720p, but you can reclock the signal half way up with one of these http://www.kramerelectronics.com/products/model.asp?pid=1480 or similar. High resolution video really exposes the flaws in the cheapo cables, and it pays to spend a bit more if you want a solid solution. If you want transparent plug and play at 1080p, id go for the Kramer fibre products as other than running them the right way round, you wouldnt know it wasnt a copper cable.

And it will be as unreliable and troublesome as youd expect from a solution that adds a whole load of new lo budget points of failure...

+1.

I used to work in a place which was big budget, had a lot of TV screens, projectors etc all over the club.. but the whole lot was linked up by composite cable and cheap & nasty £5 converters from Maplin or similar. Yes the signal got from the distribution box to all the TVs, but it never looked very nice, and we spent more time digging up every connection in the building than we did using it.

If you're going to install something, install it properly!

• 2 weeks later...

Fibre certainly isn't 10x the cost of other solutions...

Thanks to everyone for the advice, especially Sleepytom for pointing out that optic might not be expensive as I had originally thought.

I'll probably get one of these options:

$495 US

http://www.bhphotovi...iber_Optic.html

or this

$630 US

http://www.bhphotovi...ptic_Cable.html

I'm still trying to figure out why the second one is $130 more when they appear to be the same thing. The first is called HDTV - DVI, But the descriptions seem to be the same.

Thanks again to everyone

ck

Archived