Soundweb 9088 RS232-USB Win7

DrV

I have had some problems connecting to an old Soundweb 9088 (not the 9088ii) from a Windows 7/64 bit laptop. I can connect quite successfully and reliably to my own 9088ii using an ageing IP-serial converter (Atop SE5001) and a null modem cable but get very little success with the customer's 9088 using exactly the same cables etc. Sometimes it will connect once but as soon as I go offline and attempt to go back online it will not see the 9088 any more. Sometimes it will see the 9088 and then almost immediately lose it. I can see the serial port trying to contact the 9088 as it has an activity light on the top. I get the same symptoms using either the front (38400 baud) port or the rear (115200 baud) port.

My real question is:- has anyone got actual experience of reliably connecting Windows 7/64 to a 9088, either using a USB-serial converter or an IP-serial converter? A USB converter would be preferable as it is one less thing to plug in. However, it seems that there are not many USB-serial converters which have Win7/64 drivers.

It is not out of the question, of course, that the customer's 9088 has a fault but the fact that it occasionally works makes me doubt that.

Thanks

Dave

hi

I freelance for a well known audio installer, and regularly use all variants of SW london with win7 using a usb to RS232 adapter.

I have found that the adaptors are quite hit and miss as are the settings you select on your laptop

I personally use a el cheapo note pad (samsung N140) running win 7 and a rs232 adapter to usb dongle thing.

I think alot of it is the adapter rather than the SW units.

I can use this adaptor on any laptop and get drivers and use on a SW.

Id ditch the adapter and try another and see how you go.

I can dig the adaptor out and see which it is if that helps you

D

Id ditch the adapter and try another and see how you go.

I can dig the adaptor out and see which it is if that helps you

Hi Dan,

That would be very helpful when you get a chance. I suspect you are right. The annoying thing is that I used to use an XP laptop with a noname adaptor that I got off e-bay and that worked fine. Unfortunately both of them are now defunct so I'm having to start again!

Cheers

Dave

Thanks both. Have ordered one and will see how it goes. I think that the last time I looked there wasn't anything which claimed to work on Win7/64. Fingers crossed...

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Just to button this up - for anyone else who has trouble, I bought a PL2303 based device for a tenner on ebay and had an opportunity to check it out on the offending 9088 yesterday. It functioned perfectly and I deliberately did stuff like unplugging it without going offline to check that it would reconnect - never missed a beat.

Thanks for the info all

Dave

Archived