35mm Slides

sam.henderson

Not YET paid anyone to do it, but as there's a whole filing cabinet full at work, I may yet...

On the DIY front you have basically two options;-

1) A camera-lens mounted slide carrier. Mount on a good digital camera, point at a bright light and "click". Keep trying until exposure is what you need/want. I was told that this is a bit hit & miss. There again I was told that by the salesman that sold me http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0001JZNDE.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg or one a bit like it but 4 years older.

Works well but it's duller than PAT testing. :P

(sorry, forgotten how to sort out the Amazon image. I'll try to work it out later!!)

DOH!! Just re-read the origional, and non of this will help at all as you're going the other way!!

It is possible to do this yourself however it can be tricky.

You will need:

Powerpoint

reasonable 35mm camera with slide film (100 ASA is best)

Zoom lens

Shutter release cable

Tripod

1) set up your digital images on separate powerpoint slides

2) make sure your powerpoint slides have black edges or you run the risk of getting a different edge to your slide.

3) line up your camera to inside the inner edge of your montior's case

bear in mind that most camera viewfinders do not give you a 100% view of what's going onto the film.

4) This is best done in a darkened room to avoid reflections of lights appearing in the slide.

5) You'll need a *slow* shutter speed (at least 1/30th of a second or longer) to avoid picking up the scan lines of the monitor so you'll need a tripod and shutter release cable to avoid camera shake.

6) get a reading for the exposure and then take at least 3 shots of the slide as 35mm slides are very fussy about their exposure.

( one a stop below, one on the metered exposure and one a stop above)

you can change the 'stop' of the camera by changing either the aperture or the shutter speed, making the shutter speed faster will give you your stop below and then making the shutter speed slower will give you the stop above.

This is a standard job in a big photolab The direct to film camera is expensive but slides off files shouldnt even be very expensive. Do discus file format and carrier media before sending the job in to a lab. Metro Clerkenwell Road London EC1 comes to mind in East london. A good slide off file should colour match, a slide off a screen wont.

http://www.metroimaging.co.uk/prices/pdigservices.htm

Metro charge £6,50 +vat each in plain plastic mounts Do you need pin registered mounts?

There must be several companies with branches close to the town of No Information where you are.

Metro do accept data by email and ISDN but a decent pic contains a lot of data. your or their email server may not allow files that big .

Archived