Question about pay

arnold1000

I have been offered an interview with an events company, primarily based in a venue, via an agency. The girl tried to explain the pay to me but I am still confused. I would be paid for an hourly rate for a an 9- hour day, for 45 hour week ( inc 1 hour unpaid lunch ). There are extra payments for late night hours and weekends. However in some cases I would be paid a day rate instead, to work as long as the event goes on ( works out well for me shows of less than 9 hours or so). But if the gig is longer I no longer get the benefit, and as far as I understand, the extra payments don't occur. This seems like the company could just estimate the length of time a job could take and classify it one way or the other in their favour. Is this common? Can an employer mix and match hours vs days? How does the working time directive fit into this? would I have to sign away my WTD rights to do this? The job sounds interesting, but I have been burnt by long hours / short turnarounds and little extra pay before.

Take professional advice.

Let the questions be put at the interview. The interview is not a one way process...you are in fact interviewing each other so to speak.

If you are offered the job then make sure the contract you sign is as agreed.

If you were uncertain as to their answers then walk away. Your call.

Agreed, but I would like some questions to ask during the interview, and a bit of knowledge on current practice would be useful. I recognise it is an employers market, but their is a big difference between working 8 hours and 15 for the same pay ( in extreme circumstances admittedly) and wondered if this was common. I have been doing the job for quite a few a years, both in UK and back in Europe - salaried crew and freelance - and would like the regular monthly wage, but just like input if this is what is to be expected? My gut tells me this is a bit one-sided and a way to use staff instead of freelancers to save money.

For one of my venues I charge them a set rate for any job but with them it is swings and roundabouts as sometimes I lose out and I have to every time the get a new manager that it no point asking me how many hours I worked as it dont matter. I get the same any job be it a simple 4hr gig or then there others that last 12hrs. I also get the same rate for a 1hr repair job. it is about finding out what best. I am freelance so billing by the hour can open a can of worms with the tax system. I have had venues wanting me to clock in on there clock cards before now for me to inform them if I do you can pay my tax.

When I work for a event firm`s I tend to have a day rate that works out same as a 9-5 job and then a night rate based on 12hrs that when I get real money. and a op rate 8hrs max and get in get out rate. so they get to pick one before I take the booking. I try not to do by the hour as they try to milk the hrs so you work more for less.

Not an expert by any stretch but the way I always understood it was that if an employer is employing you as an employee then you should be paid a standard hourly rate, plus overtime at fixed rate under fixed conditions. If you're working on a FREELANCE basis and not beholden to just one employer, then they would pay you YOUR agreed daily rates as appropriate, under YOUR conditions over what constitutes a 'day' and what excess charges YOU would raise if you went over those contracted hours.

An employee trying to use both hourly and daily rates does strike me as somewhat odd, and possibly against employment law.....

But as I say - not an expert.

Seek advice AFTER getting the details IN WRITING from this employer.

I used to work for an events company and was paid a 9-5 mon-fri salary. However any overtime in the warehouse at weekends was paid at hourly rate (with a minimum 4 hours call) and any onsite work was paid as a day rate. This was decided as the client is usually billed for a day-rate and if I turned down the overtime a slightly more expensive freelancer would have had to be booked. It's just a deal I had with my employer at the time. In terms of taxation all the overtime appeared as a lump sum on my payslip and the deductions were calculated accordingly.

They can employ you on whatever basis they like, if you accept - hours are not much to do with it - after all, plenty of people accept salary with hours simply based on what is needed. The umbrella company concept for paying staff seems to be getting pretty popular - but you do really need to study the contract before signing, as sometimes, delays happen, so the people you work for are late sending off your pay details, and then you end up having to wait until the next month for the pay adjustment.

I'd suggest you simply look at the pay on offer and consider if it works for you - attempting to perhaps convert to an hourly rate might just not work, when you look at the early ends vs the late ends. If you think its good - go for it!

Similar experience to frazer for me, working for an events company. 'Day rate' for working on shows, as this is what the client expects to pay, and salary for warehouse work, with overtime for anything over normal hours. Salary is deducted for days when I'm getting paid a day rate instead, unless the show is at a weekend, as I wouldn't normally be in the warehouse.

Getting paid a day rate can work for you or against you depending on the show, but for a really long show you should expect to get a day and a half, or even 2 days, if it would be impossible for you to work again the next day.

Many thanks for all replies. I think the day rate for shows, hours for warehouse is the way it works. I agree that the client is paying for the whole package, including me. I can see sometimes you win. sometimes loose, but hopefully overall it will balance out. No idea about the tax situation but as an employee, I would expect the PAYE to sort it out.

Many events companies will offer staff a Day rate for a show..some will bring it inline with what a freelancers day rate is, others of course will go for less. I would very much think that you would be "required" to opt out of the WTD. If they offer you a day rate per-show, it should, in fairness be the same whether the show lasts all day or 30 minutes, as they would be paying a freelancer a day rate to do it. Perhaps check what they see as a "Day rate" job...are they giving you a day rate to make it fair all round or are they picking and choosing when it makes it cheaper for them, most freelancers will have a day rate for 10 or 12 hours and then accept that jobs might be a little longer or shorter on occasion but would expect more money if you are booking them for 16 hours etc. So I would also just check that they are not going to have you working 20 hour days for a basic show rate as thats rather cheeky.

It is certainly a good idea to get the hours sorted before you start and ensure you are comfortable, a busy venue in the Autumn could see you working some very long hours especially if you are expected to cover client meets/show rounds in-between doing tech stuff. Check if the company has other staff who are trained for working at the venue, so you have cover when you need it. Although your core hours might be 9-5, thats pretty much when the events will run, so I would check if you would be expected to be in early every day to set up and then stay late every day to pack down as well as supply support during the day.

Working as an "implant" in a Venue can be hard work but you are exposed to many companies and people in the industry, so get a contact book and fill it up while you are there.

Archived