Switch inputs to DMX outputs

p.k.roberts

I've just had a request to come up with a solution for the following scenario; up to twelve pressure pads (or other simple normally open switches) to operate 12 DMX channels. As usual, the budget is 'as cheap as possible' and the timescale is 'by yesterday'. So my first thought is buy a cheap DMX desk - 'twelve channel faders and a master' type jobby - disable the faders and, depending on the room in the case, either add sockets to the case to allow connection of the remote switches or bring out a cable to a breakout box.

However, I can't help thinking there must be a more elegant solution, something ready-made which will do this. So that's really my question, does anyone have any better suggestions? There is also a possibility of going the MIDI route (the controller in question will accept MIDI commands); I'd rather avoid that route, but could be open to persuasion if it meant I could avoid any metal-bashing.

Any thoughts?

DMX Master, Just remove the faders, and put latching push switches instead hooked up with the correct value resistor, to make the channel look like its gone from 0 to 255 with the flick of a switch.

Nothing else that's dirt cheap springs to mind.

Theres some small console from Thomann that only has faders and is 6ch, so maybe mod 2 of those to get the required number of channels?

or Theaterlight NZ does a small 6 or 12ch console, that has got flash buttons on it, maybe worth a shot?

As usual, the budget is 'as cheap as possible'

However, I can't help thinking there must be a more elegant solution, something ready-made which will do this.

How good is your or your colleagues' PIC programming knowledge? You could knock up a 12 switches > DMX channels thing for a few quid on a bit of proto board simply enough? PIC, 5 pin XLR, the switches, protoboard, RS485 driver won't cost much. Compared to buying a full DMX desk that is.

Either that or Arduino it? I'm sure theres loads of DMX output apps out there. 12 switches in is basic programming for that sort of thing.

Theres some small console from Thomann that only has faders and is 6ch, so maybe mod 2 of those to get the required number of channels?

They also do a 12ch version of the Stairville cheapo desk:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_ddc12_dmx_controller.htm

We have one of these desks, but it won't be back here until Friday, I can pop the case off and take a couple of photos then if it helps?

Otherwise, the MIDI Solutions F8 will do open contact (1/4" jacks) to MIDI output without any metalwork, but it isn't as budget - it's a 1U rack unit at about £200.

Or use a DMX muxer - wouldn't shorting 10V to the appropriate channel generate DMX on one of those? And it's ready rackmounted.

As usual, the budget is 'as cheap as possible'

However, I can't help thinking there must be a more elegant solution, something ready-made which will do this.

How good is your or your colleagues' PIC programming knowledge? You could knock up a 12 switches > DMX channels thing for a few quid on a bit of proto board simply enough? PIC, 5 pin XLR, the switches, protoboard, RS485 driver won't cost much. Compared to buying a full DMX desk that is.

Either that or Arduino it? I'm sure theres loads of DMX output apps out there. 12 switches in is basic programming for that sort of thing.

I had thoughts around this type of solution, but to be honest, it seemed a lot easier to buy a 50 quid controller and drill a few holes :-)

Thanks for the suggestion though, and thanks for the desk suggestions, but I'm pretty much OK with that side of things if I use that solution (which is looking increasingly likely).

I had thoughts around this type of solution, but to be honest, it seemed a lot easier to buy a 50 quid controller and drill a few holes :-)

Yeah, it very much depends on if you've done it before as to how easy that might end up being!

Seeing that £44 12 channel desk above, I'd go for that and just shorting the faders to full/off.

You mentione MIDI; this stunt is done all the time for folks staging Big, so they gut a cheap MIDI keyboard and wire the keypads to the big keyboard.

There are also boars that do contact closure to MIDI in many forms, keyboard retrofits are one variety, and custom control boards are another like the Miditronix and Highly Liquid stuff, but none of these solutions will be cheap enough for you.

Archived