connecting a PS2...

lostinla

I have a Optoma Pro 739 Video projector with DVI-D , VGA , S video , RS232 , Composite

video , and USB imputes... I want to connect a PS2... What cables will give me the best possible

image ? I just hooked it up to a composite cable, but I'm not satisfied with the quality...

Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks

Charles

I have a Optoma Pro 739 Video projector with DVI-D , VGA , S video , RS232 , Composite

video , and USB imputes... I want to connect a PS2... What cables will give me the best possible

image ?  I just hooked it up to a composite cable, but I'm not satisfied with the quality...

Charles

Firstly, welcome to the Blue Room :P

Now to your question-

In this order, video quality (from lowest to highest):

• RF (Antenna)
  • Composite
  • S-Video
  • Component (RGB, with sync on the green connector. So 3 plugs, RCA or BNC)
  • VGA (Computer) (RGB, with 2x sync connectors, and 3 for the colour (red/green/blue)
  • DVI (Computer) (Digital)

The RS-232 and USB will be for control inputs to the projector, to control possibly shutter, input select, view bulb hours etc.

As far as I know, the highest output quality you can get for a PS2 from the list I gave is S-Video. This also requires the S-Video output cable for the PS2, they normally only come with composite.

FYI, S-video is visually better than composite because it seperates the chroma (colour) part of the video signal, from the luma (brightness and sync) part. This gives you crisper images. Because the PS2 will not output anything better than S-video, there is no point in using anything better to convert the image and connect to the projector.

If you're not satisfied with the image quality, check your cables. You don't need ridculously expensive $10/metre cables, but using coaxial cable will help, a big improvement from thin cables normally supplied with equipment, especially over long runs. Composite can be run over one coax, S-Video over two.

Sorry for the lengthy reply, hope this helped some

Regards

David

Edited to make list descriptions clearer =)

image ?  I just hooked it up to a composite cable, but I'm not satisfied with the quality...

Charles

PS2 are capable of outputting RGB, This will give you the best pictures available out of the ps2. You will need to buy a lead as I believe they only come with the composite lead,.

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Hitatchi CP-S220 Multimedia LCD Mobile projector. I have tried to connect my PS2 upto it but I cant get any sound.

I have been able to connect the yellow lead from the composite cable to the projector but there are no inputs for the red and white leads so I cant hear any sounds I can only see a picture.

How can I make it so I can hear sound with the images?

Also I am having problems when playing Fifa 2005 on it as it gets to the loading part before the match then it just freezes and just doesnt load up, I have to reset the PS2. Have you any idea wot the problem could be here?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Are all the games like that? How about through a normal TV? If all bad (DVD based games - silver back) it could be a problem with the machine like mine had (is it a new style slimline one?). Ring up playstation...they are a very helpful bunch.

David

Archived