Bowling SFX

fatfrog

Hi There,

Doing production on a short play known as Strike which is set in a bowling alley.

Show requires the following sound effects which I'm struggling to make / find.

The following words need to be said in an overly american computerised voice according to the script.

"SPAAAAAAARE!"

"GUUUUUUUUUTTER BAAAAAALL"

"STRIIIIIIIIIKEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"

Any ideas how these could be made / sourced

Cheers,

Hi There,

Doing production on a short play known as Strike which is set in a bowling alley.

Show requires the following sound effects which I'm struggling to make / find.

The following words need to be said in an overly american computerised voice according to the script.

"SPAAAAAAARE!"

"GUUUUUUUUUTTER BAAAAAALL"

"STRIIIIIIIIIKEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"

Any ideas how these could be made / sourced

Cheers,

If you want overly computerised, what about windows/mac text to speech?! Although you may need to play around with the spelling to get what you want!

Find an American, record him, and then start playing using your favorite sound editing software, most can "lo fi" a recording to giver it a mechanistic quality.

Not got an American to record: go to voice123.com and hire one. If you reuqest exactly what you want (complete with effects) then you'll (probably!) get it. Specify your type of organisation you're doing it for, for pro shows they want pro rates, but for a non-profit, a couple of notes will get what you want; most of the voiceover guys adjust their rates for impecunious organisations.

I actually wanted Don LaFontaine, but the bugger went and died before I got to him, but found a very acceptable substititue for what I wanted.

Frankly this is exactly the sort of thing I'd record for myself, either with one of the actors doing an American accent or event attempting it myself--then processing to get the sound I want. No cost, no royalties to worry about...and it's fun to do.

Tip: a big part of the effect I think you're after will be the stilted machine-style cadence in the delivery.

Wii Sports - the bowling game will say all of the required, although does tend to favour "nice spare"

I'm an American, who occasionally bowls, and the only place I have ever heard an automated voice announcement of strikes and balls, was in the Wii Sports bowling game. It would just be annoying noise in a real bowling ally. If the director or playwright has those sounds in their head it probably came from Wii Sports. I'd give it a try anyway.

Mac

Hi,

A very kind blue roomer known as "Mat" created some fantastic Voice-Overs for me today. There super - Just what the show needs.

I also investigated the idea of using the Wii Sports. But go stuck half way through the process of ripping the sfx from the wii disc. I managed to extract the BRSTM files from the disc but struggled to get them converted to anything useful from them. Perhaps this is because I'm a mac head.

And yes - I suspect the playwright has a Wii Sports addiction.

But thankfully It's all sorted now.

Cheers,

Alan

I also investigated the idea of using the Wii Sports. But go stuck half way through the process of ripping the sfx from the wii disc. I managed to extract the BRSTM files from the disc but struggled to get them converted to anything useful from them. Perhaps this is because I'm a mac head.

I would have just played the game into a recorder.

Mac

Archived