Real Flame Effect and Torches...

Stupod

Have a production coming up that the director wishies to have a 'real' flame fire camp style. Ok so yes I am well aware of the H&S etc as is my partner a SM so all's well there but have no idea where to source one from.

Will not use fabric flames (not appropriate) am using VSFX units as well so fire is the only real solution.

Also the director wishies to use hand held naked flames. I used a device on a production some time back that consists of a mini gas canister with a button on the side that ignites a flame at the top. This got through the fire inspection as the flame ignites when you let go of the button or drop the item.. Cannot remember were the heck this was purchased any ideas????

:(

Try ringing Whitelight - on their open day they had some nice DMX controlled fire thingys - perhaps they might suit your needs!

Stu

the ones at the white light open day were from EMF Technology ltd they look very good and so cool that im sure everyone there thought "I want one... now where could I use it?"

they dont really do the exact thing you are after as far as I can see but try giving them a call and im sure they will be able to help if they dont do it, by giving you somone that does.

EMF technology ltd

0118 9887647

hope this helps

Ben

It would be a good idea to give Lincoln Parkhouse at Just FX a bell. I'm sure he'll be able to help you out.

Just FX's number is 020 8493 0527. He also happens to moderate this forum, so you could PM him.

Re. the handheld flame - Le Mark (www.lemark.co.uk) are the UK distributors for the Gam Torch (basically an updated variation on the old opera torches). It's not cheap, but it's a quality item, and it's safe ...

Re. the real flame campfire - sounds like you might need some sort of propane gas effect. Perfectly safe, as long as it's done properly, with all the right kit. Talk to Just FX, as suggested previously. Or Howard Eaton Lighting on 01273 400670 - they make their own equipment for effects like this, and they'll probably have something they can hire to you.

Trestle Theatre Company have a propane gas burner which was built into a cut down oil drum and used for this very thing. It consisted of a square of steel pipe with small holes in connected by a long hose to a calour gas bottle. The clever bit was a 12v ignition system (run from a battery) connected to two gas supply solenoids (if one sticks open the other will still close) and operated from a hand held remote. You could not turn on the gas supply without firing the ignition system and it went out if you let go of the button. V. clever.

Ask the nicely and they might lend (hire) it to you.

Alternatively, it was built by World Famous Fireworkers Ltd (Tel:07071 781 818)

I'm sure they could supply something hand held as well.

Archived