Audio Cue Software for Linux?

DeepSpacePenguin

Can I be the first one to say Raspberry Pi? Would be interesting to see how much one could handle for sound effects / tracking

Not very much. The RaspBerry Pi is based on a 700MHz ARM1176, think 500MHz Pentium III levels of performance. It has audio on board however for a decent interface you'd have to connect it to the USB port. I'm not sure what USB transfer modes it supports. It then comes back to the most supported OS on it being Linux and the same problems that there are with Linux on x86.

. The RaspBerry Pi is based on a 700MHz ARM1176, think 500MHz Pentium III levels of performance. I

And? how much processing do you think is in a cd player? some of us are old enough to remember editing and playing sound fx on cool edit running on a 486

. The RaspBerry Pi is based on a 700MHz ARM1176, think 500MHz Pentium III levels of performance. I

And? how much processing do you think is in a cd player? some of us are old enough to remember editing and playing sound fx on cool edit running on a 486

A CD player doesn't have to deal with decompressing, sometimes complex, lossy compression formats. It doesn't have to deal with sample rate conversion from whatever the source is to whatever the output format is and it doesn't have to deal with mixing multiple streams of audio together. Lots of pro level modern CD players will have some processing inside them for reading data CDs containing compressed formats etc and doing noise shaping to increase the apparent S/N ratio.

If you want to play non overlapping cues in PCM format or a compressed format which doesn't require heavy floating point lifting to undo then yes the Pi would be fine. For running something which does what QLab does it's not got enough processing power available.

Archived