Fading LED PARs with/without DMX

godsdeputy

Hoping someone can help me....

I've just bought a set of LED PAR Cans and a Stairville DMX Master controller from Thomann.

I can address the PAR Cans without any problem and light them up, select colours etc.... Can even address some other scanners. Very happy so far.

The problem I have is that I want to use this lighting set up with a gospel choir and select different light configurations using the scene buttons. This I can do....but there is no fade....there is just an instant transition from (for example) bright white to bright red to whatever. The question I have is whether anyone knows how I can go about getting a nice fade between different configurations....

The LED Par Can manual shows one of the DMX channels has fade in/fade out selectable....but when I select (for example fade out) the CAN fades out over a second or so and then instantly returns to full brightness.....

Also on the DMX Master controller there is a fade slider.....but this seems to make no difference when selecting from one scene to the next.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Andy

Hi Andy, I think you have the interperated 'fade' wrongly. The manual for these fixtures says fade but this is a preset set of scenes ie. RGB fading. To do what you want is from the control desk by setting fade in/out times for each sceen, I belive that this controller does not have this facility for each scene only for chaseing scenes.

Hope this helps

Hoping someone can help me....

I've just bought a set of LED PAR Cans and a Stairville DMX Master controller from Thomann.

I can address the PAR Cans without any problem and light them up, select colours etc.... Can even address some other scanners. Very happy so far.

The problem I have is that I want to use this lighting set up with a gospel choir and select different light configurations using the scene buttons. This I can do....but there is no fade....there is just an instant transition from (for example) bright white to bright red to whatever. The question I have is whether anyone knows how I can go about getting a nice fade between different configurations....

The LED Par Can manual shows one of the DMX channels has fade in/fade out selectable....but when I select (for example fade out) the CAN fades out over a second or so and then instantly returns to full brightness.....

Also on the DMX Master controller there is a fade slider.....but this seems to make no difference when selecting from one scene to the next.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Andy

I may be thinking of the wrong desk, but you will have to use the faders for the different colour schemes with the risk of getting mixed colours on the way (Xfade Red to Blue to Amber) OR fade to black/white then your next chosen colour combination. Sometimes with the cheap gear you need to buy hair treatment from scratching the head so much when working on the problems that arise! Try organizing the scenes on a page: e.g. two looks for preacher/conductor 3 for choir and 3 for musical instruments area and a backlight for reading scores/end of song... and keep a visible list of presets for your replacement.

Hi, its me again. I am almost sure this desk will not do this funtion. the slider marked fade only sets the fade times for a chase the other control the speed of the case. You can program the scenes you want then put them in a chase set the fade to the time you want and make the chase move manualy but this desk has no manual step button. As I said I think the fade only works in a chase.

Hi Andy,

I'm going to have to agree with above, from using this "desk" before, I haven't been able to make fades between lighting states, although you CAN make a chase, and then set fade times on the chase as a whole. The console is mainly used for your mobile DJ setup.

Hope this helps.

I think you will find on this controller in programming mode no you cant fade between scenes, but when out of programming mode you have a mode button which either activates (auto) chase mode, (man) manual select scene mode. or (music) sound to pulse chase mode. you need to select manual mode, there should be a dot illuminated next to the right hand side of the led display.

In this mode the scene fade next to the time fader will allow smooth transitions betwene scenes.

You can certainly fade between preprogrammed scenes when performing a chase, though on the DMX Master you will have to 'allow' a scene-time setting long enough for the fade to happen; otherwise the next scene will appear regardless of whether the fade has completed or not. In other words, the scene time (dwell time) does not automatically allow for the fade time. So it is possible to have a long fade time but a short dwell time, resulting in confusing results. I think you'll find the DMX master ignores fade times in full-manual mode or when pressing scene buttons. The scenes just snap-in on the buttons.

Have you got the DMX attributes for the Par cans? Many DMX cans have several modes, selected by one portion of one DMX channel, that selects either 'snap' or 'fade' action from the leds. If you externally select 'snap' action, no amount of fade time on the desk will make the leds actually fade or dim..they will always be full-on. Sometimes these modes are partially selected by 1 or 2 reserved dip switches that designate the parcan personality as say 3-channel RGB or full-feature 4 or 5 channels. And some par cans have a 'fade' attribute on part of one channel that allows you to set an internal fade time that overrides any RGB DMX levels! Have a read of the leaflet.

I wonder if it might be worth the OP instead purchasing something like the Chamsys 10 pound /60 pound dongles? Yes it requires a computer and yes it requires a bit of understanding of the software, but 10 quid isn't a huge investment by any means and I gather that it would be suitable for this purpose, and it's much more powerful... :)

David

A good alternative to the botex-derived DMX Masters would be the vastly superior Stageline DMX1440.

That has both fade time and dwell that can be assigned to individual scenes on a scene by scene basis and also has a preset-style cross fader for the manual user with centre-zero where both ingoing and outgoing scenes are up.

It also has a grand master that only alters the dimmer or shutter channel as designated and allows programming of a proper cue-stack that is triggered by moving the cross fade up/down/up/down etc.

All in all it has more pro features at a budget price.

http://www.monacor.de/de/JPG/1024/L/L3/L381980A.jpg

A good alternative to the botex-derived DMX Masters would be the vastly superior Stageline DMX1440.

That has both fade time and dwell that can be assigned to individual scenes on a scene by scene basis and also has a preset-style cross fader for the manual user with centre-zero where both ingoing and outgoing scenes are up.

It also has a grand master that only alters the dimmer or shutter channel as designated and allows programming of a proper cue-stack that is triggered by moving the cross fade up/down/up/down etc.

All in all it has more pro features at a budget price.

http://www.monacor.de/de/JPG/1024/L/L3/L381980A.jpg

HI, many thanks to all of you for your inputs. Spent some time playing with the controller this week.

You're right, the instructions are appalling....

So far it looks like the fade timer works only on chase.....switching between scenes seems to make an instant switch.

But I haven't given up yet.....will post back if I find a solution.

Cheers

Andy

Archived