Projector & Electric Screen

Kippy6364

Hello All,

I am looking at purchasing an electric screen that rises and falls with the projector power.

The screen comes with a Built-in 5-12 volt trigger port (RJ-45) enables Drop/Rise operation to synchronize with the projector's power cycle. The RJ45 cable has two cables coming from it, a + and a -.

Does this mean that I can connect the RJ45 to the RS232 - 9 pin port on the projector?

Any help appreciated as always.

Kipper

Short answer - probably no.

Long answer - you'd need to post details of the screen, the projector, and the application you wanted to use it for. It may well be that the screen maker is just using an RJ-45 connector for convenience. In any case, the RS-232 serial port on the projector is for controlling the projector, rather than so the projector can control other things. Usually the screen manufacturer will have an application note detailing how the rise/fall action can be controlled.

And then - I don't know about other people, but I've found that the cheaper motorised screens (Sahara is a common brand) don't always have a particularly long life expectancy on the motor. I've been dealing today with a failed motor control on a screen that's only 5 years old, and has only been operated a couple of times a week at most. There's not so much to go wrong in a manual screen!

And finally - if this is a home theatre application - or even if it's a pro application using home theatre kit - there are quite a few dedicated fora around specifically for that subject, and they may well have detailed info for exactly what you need to do.

There's not so much to go wrong in a manual screen!

You jest? I can't even begin to count the number of screens I've had to replace because the (l)user didn't understand the word "STOP" printed on the pull-down screen surface! :angry:

There's not so much to go wrong in a manual screen!

You jest? I can't even begin to count the number of screens I've had to replace because the (l)user didn't understand the word "STOP" printed on the pull-down screen surface! :angry:

True enough. But I tend to install the Beamax screens when I'm doing manual ones, and they don't break when you do that.

Archived