Dance booms

Kopy

Hi guys,

I'm a rock 'n roll lampie who has recently moved into theatre work - I just have a quick question regarding booms for dance.

When I focus the booms I shutter just off the legs on the opposite side, both up and down stage. This means that when I use them they don't light the legs at all - great! The dancers look like they just appear!

The only problem is if a dancer moves from up to down stage in the centre they walk in and out of light - if they're standing directly in line with the legs they're in darkness. How do people get around this problem?

Thanks,

Adam.

Shins (the light position, not the body part) hard shuttered off the opposite side floor line/skirting board/base of black tabs does the trick for me. Top hats or blackwrap get rid of any flare you still have on the deck.

I use a huge up/down overlap on my boom focus, to minimise the gaps between each boom when the dancers stand nearer to them. Having the booms further offstage also makes those black spot move off too, if you can do it.

It's kinda like creating any other even cover, but the fixtures are nearer the targets, so more booms and shins, mids and head highs create that wall of light. It helps to draw out a plan, with beams, and a front elevation too, with people drawn in position. You can't make light travel around corners or stop in mid air, so you have to put up with light on things, if you want to light people on stage.

And don't forget those lifts.....

edit: Re reading the post, originally thought you meant shutter off dancers legs ** laughs out loud **. Answer amended to include what you were asking :-)

One way to do this is (depending on the production) is not to just light across stage from bay to bay (wings)

For example leave the down stage booms buzzing across... if you then use the next upstage boom to light up and across to the third wing bay. the third wing (bay) to light down and across to the second wing (bay)... so it's kind of cris cross...

Richard Caswell (Ballet Rambert) used this focus for a basic cover...

Depending on what you've got on your booms, shin busters just light side to side and fresnels filling the holes and adding to your general 'wash' by providing a key light/ wall of light.

Have a look at google for Peter Mumford (who knows a thing or two!!) and see how he's lit dance productions and have a 'guess on what's in the wings'

As I said before, it depends on the dance piece that you are lighting that will influence your final rig design and maybe light hitting bits of set (not always a bad thing) would enhance the picture that the audience will see.

I've got focus notes if you want to have a look...

Brian

Don't shutter the downstage side.

I normally start with about two legs wide, straight across, and then shutter / barndoor the US leg only.

The overlap then gives good cover keeping the legs 'dark'.

Pretty much as Roderick says - shutter off the leg in the next bay upstage, try to hit as much downstage as you can.

Another really good trick if you're using flats is to angle them ever so slightly so that the offstage edge is more upstage than the onstage edge - voila, no shadows. It's sometimes hard to convince the stage department that this is a Good Thing, however, as it makes it harder for them to mask the wings. :P

You could go in the style of John B. Read and not worry about hitting the floor. I programme a lot of ballets and often see the LDs not worrying about lighting the floor with sidelight.

The argument is that we're lighting a ballet dancer, it is crucial that we see their feet. If that means light spills on the floor then so be it. The venue where I work most regularly has 5 booms

a side, each which 6 lamps on it, we tend to do focus like this:

1 (bottom) : Cut off floor

2: Cut off floor

3: Near side quarter line and off

4: Centre line and off

5: Near side quarter line and off

6 (top) : Centre line and off

Cheers

Andrew

Richard Caswell (Ballet Rambert) used this focus for a basic cover...

Brian

Just for the sake of correctness, "The Ballet Rambert" changed its name to The Rambert Dance Company about twenty-five years ago.

Archived